(5) Teenage Dirtbag

Author's Note: 😏

Vanessa opened the door to her home as she stepped on the cold, white, marble floor. There was a fire burning in the fireplace and her Mother sat next to it reading her magazines. Of course, she was reading about herself.

Vanessa decided to sneak past her Mother while she was distracted and reading, hide the scarf in her room, and come back and continue her day as usual.

She was going up the large, grand staircase when her Mother said,
"Come back downstairs, Vanessa. I'm your Mother. You can't fool me. We're tied by BLOOD. In fact your great-great-great-great-grandfather was a mighty conqueror because of his great influence among—"

"OKAY Mother I'm coming!"
"Don't yell at me Vanessa Vaughn Eve! If anything I should be yelling at you for trying to ignore me."
"I wasn't trying to ignore you, Mother."

"Just come over here, child. Kids these days.."
"Mother, I'm a TEENAGER!! You can't keep calling me a child!"
"You're 16, sweetheart. Ugh, kids with their swanky talk and attitude and whatnot. Calling themselves TEENAGERS!!! Acting like they've grown up and now live on their own. They grow up too fast. Vanessa, you will always be my petite little princess."

"Mother, first of all, ew. Second of all, no one has saisd the word 'petite' in 10,000 years."

"Well then, I just broke a record."

Vanessa sighed and quickly ran down the stairs and ran across the cold, marble floor towards her Mother. Her Mother took a deep breath.

"Vanessa, you've been different ever since you've gone to this school. For so long, I've ignored it...but I've seen you use such a tone and attitude that you would've never dared to use 3 years ago. Is there something going on that I should know about Vanessa?"

Vanessa gulped. She was getting sweaty for some reason. It was too hot in the room. Maybe taking a log out of the fireplace could help.

She considered telling her everything, from the moment in the field to the scarf she got at school. But she didn't.

Instead she choked out,
"No, it's nothing, really. There's just a lot of stress with homework!"

"Oh..well maybe we could spend some time together! That might help you de-stress. Quality time with Mother. What a great stress reliever."
"Y-yeah..."
"How about I drop you off at school tomorrow?"
"Hm? Oh, yeah sure. Wait- No!"
"Why not? I can just leave you at the front and-"
"NO!"
"...."
"Mother, I didn't mean to..."

"VANESSA THAT IS NO WAY TO SPEAK TO YOUR MOTHER! GO TO YOUR ROOM. NOW!!"

Vanessa burst into a shaky sob and bolted up the grand staircase to her room and slammed her door shut.

Author's Note:
This chapter was a bit long and angsty but I think it's a good refresher from those short snippets.