(25) Under The Surface

Classes had gone by quickly, and it was time for the last class of the day, Ballroom Dancing.

The four girls entered the ballroom, like a clique, and all eyes immediately fell upon them. Vanessa wasn't sure how she was in their group in the first place, especially since Mayweather hated her, but she didn't care enough to ask.

The girls of Miss May's Academy lined up in a long row, all the way to the end of the ballroom. The boys of the other school, The Institution of Fine Gentlemen, formed a row right across from them.

Madame Lillith, the teacher, called out from the end of the rows, "Look across from you and see your partner!"

The girls and boys looked across, someone smiling in excitement, others sighing and groaning. Vanessa looked across and saw the one and only, Benedict. The Student Body President of the boy's school.

Benedict looked at her and gave a polite wave, to which she did the same. Next to her, Mayweather had an alarmed look on her face. Vanessa turned to see who she was looking at and saw a smirking boy, who was actually quite attractive. She didn't understand why Mayweather seemed so dismayed.

Mayweather's lip began to quiver and her eyes glossed over with tears. Vanessa noticed Hadia grabbing Mayweather's hand and holding it tight, in a comforting way.

"Do you want to switch partners?" Hadia asked Mayweather in her signature husky voice. Mayweather nodded quickly and switched spots with Hadia, causing the boy's smirk to disappear and be replaced with a grimace.

Vanessa turned to Hadia and asked quietly, "What was that about?"

Hadia sighed and said, "That boy is Tristan, Mayweather's first boyfriend, or- now ex-boyfriend. But she wasn't his first, and certainly not his last."

Vanessa questioned further, "Did something happen between them?"

Hadia scoffed, "Obviously something happened. Didn't you see Mayweather's face? He assaulted her."

Vanessa's eyes widened in shock. "Did the school do anything about it?"

Hadia let out a sarcastic laugh before muttering under her breath, "They couldn't have cared less."

"But why!? That's a serious thing!"
Hadia merely chuckled at Vanessa's protests before finally saying "Unfortunately for Mayweather, Tristan's father is a heavy contributor towards both academies. And Miss May told her that she was a lady, and she should only expect such things from gentlemen."

Vanessa stood in shock, and her fists that she didn't know she'd clenched, released. "I...I didn't know.." She said with a wavering voice.

Hadia looked at her, "There's a lot that you, and probably everyone else, don't know. About Mayweather, her grandmother, and the academy."

Vanessa gulped as Madame Lillith clapped her hands, signaling the orchestra to begin playing. She walked forward and danced with Benedict for the rest of class in silence.

Her thoughts scrambled up her mind, and they kept her zoned out for the entire dance.

What other things happened in the academy that people didn't know ?

What were they hiding?