THIRTY NINE

"Welcome Malora McCarran," She said, eyes sparkling. "I have been expecting you."

Those words, although very few, made Malora's heart pound, and a fist gripped her inner muscles making them cramp up in fear. But outward, she showed no sign of weakness.

Celeste Pitts waved a hand to the cream and ash leather sofa across from her throne with a laziness that exuded gracefulness and class. "Be seated, please."

Malora did as she asked, but sat up straighter than a pin. Henry's warning not to let her guard down around this woman resounded in her mind and she held on to it. It would help her to quit from committing an error so grave that she'd never achieve her true aim of coming here.

Celeste regarded her with a slight smile on her plump, red-coated lips and said, "you're more than I expected, though. Even more beautiful, so I can see why my son was going so bloody crazy all over you."

Was that a compliment? "Um, thanks?"

"Please, speak formally with me, Ms. McCarran." Then she snapped her finger twice and a red-haired woman in proper maid uniform—complete with the lace apron and hat to go with it—materialized from thin air. "Bring in a pot of tea, sugar, milk and creamer."

"Right away, ma'am."

As quickly as she appeared, the maid vanished from the room as quietly as a mouse.

Malora marvelled at how efficient the staff of this house ran; from the butler to the maid. But she was more enthralled about this woman who seemed to be at the center of everything that ran in this family.

"Ms. McCarran. May I ask why you've sought me out?" Her light gray eyes shone with curiosity, but beneath was a calmness that told Malora that Celeste knew why she was here.

Going straight to the point would defeat the whole purpose of coming here, because women like these liked games than the average gamer. If she out rightly asked Celeste about Titan's appearance, Malora knew she would deny. It was best to play her game and beat her at it if she wanted to emerge as a victor with all her limbs attached.

So, she decided to counter with a question of her own. "You said you were already expecting me. What do you mean by that?"

She didn't respond for some minutes, just stared and blinked those artificial lashes (it had to be with all that thick longness) at her. Then she nodded coolly. "Ah, yeah. I have been expecting you since I heard of you."

"Why is that?"

"Because any woman bold enough to turn my son's head after he'd vowed not to fall in love again has me to contend with."

Although chills were beginning to snake up her spine, Malora kept her expression passive. Celeste was like a shark; any smell of blood would trigger her and she'll bite. Hard.

"So, are you saying that you want your son to remain single forever? Doing what, catering to your every need?"

"That's what sons are for, are they not?" She crossed and uncrossed her legs. "I gave birth to Titan, christened him that name because I know that he would one day become the head of my operations. He almost strayed once, but learned his lesson the hard way. And now, he's about to do the same. Tell me, Ms. McCarran, shouldn't he be punished for that?"

Subtext: he is already being punished for that.

"If the sin he committed is that great, then yes, he should be punished." Malora shifted a bit in her chair. The move escaped Celeste's attention, though. One had to think like a sociopath to defeat one. "But if it is something that pertains to his happiness, then I think he should be spared."