Chapter 3

That Monday, Steve found himself lugging his body out of bed at six in the morning for his first shift with Robin at the cafe. If he was being honest, if it wasn't for Robin needing a ride, he would have just been late. But Robs would have come to his house and kicked his ass for it, even if she had to be in class right after her shift. She would have skipped just because she had a reason to put him in his place. When he pulled up to her house, she looked pissed off. Sure Steve might have taken a little longer than he said he would, but that wasn't his fault, his hair was having a difficult time staying up.

"I've been sitting out here for ten minutes, you dingus!" Robin slammed the BMW's door behind her before putting her seatbelt on.

"We had a little hair emergency, but it's fine now, we'll get there on time still."

"Not the point! Seriously, do you have any time management skills? Like actually, I swear you're always at least five minutes late everywhere you go."

"Look, I have an extensive routine that-"

"That you can't skip steps to, yeah I've heard it before bud. Let me guess though, you spent extra time on your hair because you think with your sex drive before your actual head."

"Rob, it's too early for this."

"I'm right though, aren't I?"

"No Robs, you're actually not right. Because I don't do hookups anymore, I haven't for months. So if you do the math, that means I haven't gotten laid in months." They made it to the coffee shop; the less than five minutes in the car made Steve realize that Robin could have easily walked there. But he didn't say anything because Robin was looking at him like he was insane.

"What do you mean? You've told me about them pretty recently, in pretty vivid detail, might I add."

"They were fake, I made them up. I haven't had sex with anybody since before goddamn Vecna." Steve definitely was talking a little too loud for a public place at seven in the morning. So he just held his face in his palms for a second before meeting Keith inside, for the moment, ending the conversation there.

Keith gave them their aprons and name tags, showed them around the small space and the back room. The first hour of their shift, they were debriefed again on how to make different drinks. They technically had gone in before, after hours once, and Keith extensively taught them how to make good cups of coffee. But apparently they needed both of them to be even better than that first time. After that though, he left them to themselves. He worked on paperwork and other managerial things in the office while Robin and Steve were left with the customers that came in.

They actually did pretty well with the morning rush, and yes even though Steve didn't expect there to be one, there was a rush. They were in the middle of town and near the schools, so it made sense, but between the two of them they only messed up three peoples drinks. Which in Robin's words was way better than she expected them to do. It finally did slow down though and they had time to actually talk to each other again, which Robin took full advantage of.

"Hey Steve? Were you kidding about what you said earlier, about the hookups?" Robin looked down at the counter that she was wiping down instead of looking at Steve.

"No Rob, I wasn't." He gripped the counter he was leaning on a little harder than he had been before.

"What the fuck dude? What were you doing then, and why were you lying to me? I'm not mad at you, I just want to know what was so important that you're lying to your best friend. Partners in crime, remember?"

"I didn't want to keep anything from you, it's just you were on a roll with Vickie and you looked so happy and bubbly again. Everything was going back to normal for people and the kids were finally able to start acting like teenagers. But, I can't jump in a pool without thinking about the portal on lovers lake, I don't leave the house without making sure my bat is in my car, and Nancy isn't in love with me anymore. "