008.

008. three heads aren't always better than one

THE HOUSE itself wasn't really uninviting. the thing that did seem to make cadie hate the place was the fact they'd tied them all up the minute they'd entered the house. bound by the wrists and ankles all tied together by rope, it was truly an uncomfortable experience that cadie thinks she wouldn't recommend to many people (or any people, actually).

the six of them had all been tossed into the corner, tied up like rodeo animals. nobody had really spoken yet (perhaps it was for the fear that geryon would force them all to be gagged with rop so their shouts for help couldn't be heard).

then, geryon left to go check on some sort of farm animal that was probably illegal and shot fire out of its eyes or something, and they were left in the corner with eurytion lounging on a rocking chair, glancing at them before petting the viscous two-headed dog at his feet.

cam was the first out of any of them to speak.

"you're my half-brother then?" he called, jutting his head as if to indicate he was talking about eurytion.

"that i am."

"why do you stay here and deal with him? he's literally trying to send nico away and get money for it- and if percy doesn't clean those stables we'll be sold too. you know that's trafficking, right?" cam quipped. "how'd this all happen?"

"i accepted immortality, that's what happened," muttered eurytion. he wagged a finger at all of them, "lesson well learned. if some gods come knockin' about offering you immortality, here's my advice: do not accept it. ever since i did, i've been stuck here. it's not like i want to do any of this stuff"

"gods can offer you immortality?" muttered nico.

"yeah, of course they can!" cadie said, nodding. "like with heracles- the gods offered him immortality after doing all those tasks, and now he's a god! artemis sort of gives people semi-immortality when she recruits people to join the-" she glanced over at nico, who's eyes seemed to darken. "... hunt."

"if you don't want to do any of this," annabeth frowned, "why don't you set us free?"

tyson nodded, "geryon doesn't need to know. we can escape, get percy and then go."

"the guys got three heads and is a monster, you think you can escape without him knowing?" scoffed eurytion.

"but this doesn't benefit you in the slightest," cam pressed onwards. "you're basically somebody who does all the dirty work- don't you want to just rest a bit? i mean, seriously, this isn't even violence for the sake of peace- this is violence just for violence."

cadie watched as eurytion squinted at him, as if analysing cam.

"you're not like me, are you?"

"what do you mean?" frowned cam.

"you're a son of ares, sure. but you're different to the rest of us."

"rest of us?" cam repeated, frowning.

"normal ares kids. you don't have the rage," eurytion continued.

cam shrugged in reply, "i might be the son of a war god, but i know when i shouldn't and should be violent- or even get violent. what's the point of constantly tiring yourself with rage when you can concentrate it? honestly, it's a basic strategy."

eurytion nodded thoughtfully.

"right, cool. dad must've been feeling extra peaceful when he met your mortal parent."