Energy

Educational decree number 23: The Ministry of Magic may appoint a representative to assess the level of education at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry if there arise any concerns about the school. This representative will be given the post of High Inquisitor at Hogwarts. 

Everyone was buzzing with the news of Umbridge being elected the Hogwarts High Inquisitor, it was crazy.

"This is horrible." said Hermione.

"Oh it's only getting started." I said through gritted teeth. This will be our most trying year at Hogwarts yet. There are more of those decrees coming."

"Come on we better get to Snape's class if Umbridge will be assessing his work." said Hermione.

"I have awarded you the grades you would have received if you presented this work in your O.W.L," said Snape with a smirk, as he swept among us, passing back our homework. "This should give you a realistic idea of what to expect in your examination. Snape reached the front of the class and turned to face us.

"The general standard of this homework was abysmal. Most of you would have failed had this been your examination. I expect to see a great deal more effort for this week's essay on the various varieties of venom antidotes, or I shall have to start handing out detentions to those dunces who get D's. He smirked as Draco sniggered and said in a carrying whisper,

"Some people got D's? Ha!"

I realized that Hermione was looking sideways to see what grade I had received but I raised my eyebrows and she relented. I had gotten an E and I knew that she had an A, but I wasn't giving the satisfaction of seeing my mark without asking. However as we made our way to lunch, she pressed on, "I mean, all right, I didn't expect the top grade, not if he's marking to O.W.L. standard, but a pass is quite encouraging at this stage, wouldn't you say?"

Harry made a non committal noise in his throat.

"Of course, a lot can happen between now and the exam, we've got plenty of time to improve, but the grades we're getting now are a sort of baseline, aren't they? Something we can build on . . ."

We sat down together at the Gryffindor table.

"Obviously, I'd have been thrilled if I'd gotten an O —"

"Hermione," said Ron sharply, "if you want to know what grades we got, ask."

"I don't — I didn't mean — well, if you want to tell me —"

"I got a P," said Ron, ladling soup into his bowl. "Happy?"

"And I got an E. so you can stop now." I added.

"But isn't E a higher pass than A?" Hermione asked.

"Yes it is. I did better than you. Don't act so surprised, I always do in Potions." I told her.

"In tests you do but this was an essay. You don't even know how to research." She said taking my essay and skimming through it, "How do you know all this? Do you have a private tutor?" she asked and I snatched my paper away from her.

"I do a lot of practical work, and just like the grade says, I exceed people's expectations of me." I walked away from her and went to sit by Ginny. However, Hermione's words left a mark within me. It was true, I just knew most of the things in Potions, they just came naturally to me and I had never questioned my great knowledge of the subject. I mean, sure I did read a lot of old Portion making books, lots of recipe books of Potions but I didn't really read my textbooks. I was still preoccupied when we entered Trelawney's classroom and I walked right up to her and said. "Professor, I need to talk to you."

"Not now Miss Black, we have a visitor. Perhaps after the lesson." She told me. That's when I noticed Umbridge coming from the back. Just great.

"Good afternoon, Professor Trelawney," said Professor Umbridge with her wide smile. "You received my note, I trust? Giving the time and date of your inspection?" Professor Trelawney nodded.

"We shall be continuing our study of prophetic dreams today," she said in a brave attempt at her usual mystic tones, though her voice shook slightly. "Divide into pairs, please, and interpret each other's latest nighttime visions with the aid of the Oracle."

I paired up with Neville. "Okay, pick a dream Neville." I said because I did not want to discuss my own dreams.

"I had a dream where I was being chocked by mayra roots. They are really strong, with a 10cm radius. But somehow I defeated them."he said and I looked at the method on my Dream Oracle.

"Hmm, your age, 15, date of the dream, last night right?, Letters in the subject, chocking, 7. So it is 15107NL. Let me see the solution." I said looking at the reference numbers on my book.

"There is no such reference here, you must have done something wrong."said Neville peeking at my book.

"What are you talking about? It says here, 15107NL means that 'you need to be pushed to find your inner strength. Life will choke you but you need to know that you have the strength to survive.' Right here." I said pointing at it.

"Miley that's a blank-whoa- how did you do that? One minute it was blank but then the words you said appeared!" he exclaimed.

"What?" I asked puzzled

"Yeah your name now appears on the contributing authors list, well sort of." said Neville. Sure enough, my name was there, sort of. It was written as Camilla Destiny Clearwater. They mixed up my mother's and my name. Why would they do that? I knew it was no mistake; the book was probably enchanted to recognize a Seer's name when they interpreted a dream, and credit them for it using the energy from their Inner Eye to identify the seer. Every Seer had a unique type of energy. Right now the only reason that I could think of why Rhine and I were credited was if we were using the same energy which was impossible because Rhine's energy died with her. I really needed to talk to Trelawney now but she had slipped away after being put to the test by Umbridge. There was only one thing I could do. I had to contact Rhine. The only way I could do that was if I was dead or half dead.