002 ━ ANATOMY OF A GOOD TACTIC..

⋆★⋆

⋆★⋆

"TOWER, IT'S F/A-18E VAMPIRE, over training field, engaging simulation for exercise with F/A-18F Rooster and F/A-18F Merlin. Acknowledge."

"Rooster acknowledged," Bradley spoke into the mask, still holding it with his hand. He looked back over his shoulder at his quickly designated Weapon System Officer, unable to remember her full name, Vanessa Reyes, but definitely recalling her callsign, namely 'Cosmo'. She was obviously long ready and just as professionally quiet as him, so, without much hesitation on the broadcast, he continued, "Standing-by."

"Merlin acknowledged. Standing-by." Oscar Altman, callsign 'Merlin', international Top Gun graduate from Germany had also been selected and called in for this mission, where Monica assigned Canadian prodigy, a younger generation international graduate, Casey 'Butcher' Lane, as his WSO.

"Vampire, this is Tower. Training field clear for routine. Confirm awareness of wind warnings."

Vampire dismissed promptly, "Confirmed."

"Clearance for international procedures?"

"Curtsey of Admiral Sanford," Monica spoke into the mask, already set around her mouth. Resentment was obvious in her tone, but obvious was also her disregard towards politely hiding it.

"Awaiting confirmation." The pause over the radio was insignificant, "Confirmation received. Proceed frequency change."

"And careful what you're saying about the mission," Admiral Sanford cut in, taking over the broadcast. With microphone in hand, he glanced back at the witnesses. From the whole base personnel, the only one witness that did not sit right with him was the outsider, the guest: Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell. "Unauthorized personnel can hear you as well, Vampire."

"Noted, sir." Though Pete wasn't there, in Monica's cockpit, he certainly could tell by her tone alone that she was grinning, enjoying the fulfillment of a good old show off as much as he would have if the disrespect was addressed to his name. "Alright, aviators, this your team leader speaking. We'll be simulating the conditions of the worst case scenario solution Admiral Sanford has kindly provided us with for the shittiest mission on record. Though I cannot make it snow for us, consider the turbulences of this day to be a very suave replacement of what the real deal would include."

"That heavy winter gear ain't something I am looking forward to," Merlin commented.

"Fly for Canada, that gear is all we know," Butcher taunted.

A few chuckles were passed amongst the team, but Vampire continued, regardless of her personal amusement. Their movement on the sky positioned them in a circular surveilling of the training grounds. Far below them, trainees were looking up, missing the context that the tower was getting, but nonetheless enjoying their passed rumors about what pilots might be flying up there. Vampire distanced herself from the double seated F-18's.