003 ━ JUST TO CATCH HIM LOOKING..

⋆★⋆

⋆★⋆

'PEARL DIVER' WAS A COASTLINE JEWEL. While the town itself wasn't much of a sight in itself, its beach overlooking bar was a constant hit for the few tourists seeking the peace and quiet of a hidden away summer paradise. Surfing, relaxing... the Pearl benefitted from a great success during season. But now it was almost winter time and if the chill of the windy weather blowing absently on empty streets did not make it clear enough yet, then the midst of the poorer season surely made itself felt inside of the cozy bar, fuming heat amongst its few locals and switching up a general boredom for a warm welcome to the other certain income for the Pearl: the pilots from the military base nearby.

Fire-toned lights hung from the low ceiling dangled luminous shadows that lit the auburn of Monica's hair and helped the redness on both her and her drinking partner's face become a clear mark for their calculated loss of sobriety. In a surprisingly responsible manner, Bradley dropped them off and returned to the base accommodation. He didn't fool Pete in the slightest about the true reason why the young man decided to sit this one out.

Nonetheless, he couldn't complain about the opportunity of some rare privacy beside the woman, even if her mood required for her secondary partner to be a glass of vodka, currently on its second refill and the subject of her full attention. He learnt, the hard way, most Romanians were resistant drinkers; Monica claimed there was nothing about that to be considered a perk, outside of the occasional wins in drinking contests, "a fleeting pride coming at the cost of a splitting headache the following day".

Pete took it easy by order just a beer.

He wasn't planning on getting drunk, especially as he half expected the little alcoholic adrenaline paired with the sight of Monica to be quite a dangerous match to handle already. Then again, Pete was happy with these crumbs, as really, this night was about her: whatever happened after her show-off with the admirals was certainly not what she had expected to gain out of it.

Personally, he doubted she was decommissioned -he had very little time to train her back at Top Gun, but he had scarcely come this close to finding his match in air, meaning that she was, in his opinion, a too good of a pilot-, but until Monica would say anything, he frankly had no clue what was happening behind her bright blue eyes, underneath the humidity-curled wave that were her bangs or even behind her sighs.

And she wasn't looking much at him. 

They've been sitting there at the bar for the past twenty minutes, listening to the silence between them and the choked out background noise of an old radio hissing out some newer songs neither of them could really understand. But despite not having shown it in any particular way, Monica was glad he was there. She never quite like going to bars alone, especially not when she was... conflicted about what she was supposed to feel.