Chapter 7 -- Otherworldly Family

'Family is not an important thing. It's everything.'

-- Michael J. Fox

Aki was so kind, loving, and motherly to me. Yet she was still a clever fox...

I was turning into a perfect kitsune, and Aki was turning into a perfect mother. One could even argue that this whole encounter was always meant to happen. It was difficult to believe that at one time, I despised this life and only wanted to go back to the mortal realm. Now, I felt as if I was supposed to be here...for a greater purpose that was still blind to me.

I eased from the sensations of someone touching my soul, as Fuku must have also realized that her actions were causing me great distress. I had a feeling that the mystery object was in fact a real hoshi-no-tama!

'My' own personal star ball!

I still did not understand how it was going to aid in getting me home. I just had to trust in those around me. And yet, a growing spark in my life begged me not to leave this world. To stay by Aki's side and learn from her. Even having a niece like Fuku made living here pleasurable!

"Your aunt seems to dislike us being dirty!" as Fuku made it clear that we were a mess.

"I am not entirely surprised." Aki nodded, agreeing "She 'is' the guardian fox of purification. She occasionally visits the shrines in the mortal world to see if their chozuya is up to divine standards."

"And what if it isn't?" I wondered.

"Then she has a stern talking with the shinshoku of the shrine."

"The priest can see her?!" as I recalled mothers' stories of the priests and even a few attendants capable of seeing the divine upon the grounds of the shrine. Aki nodded, smiling.

"We can cross into the mortal's world using our star ball; taking on the form of a fox."

"Really!?" as I was stunned to hear that "So, I can cross over too?!"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves!" Aki warned "Only kitsunes who have nine tails or are in the divine service of Inari-sama can only cross over." I felt my spirit crushed once again, but hope still burned bright.

"But there is still hope that I can cross over one day with you!?"

"There is always hope!" Aki took my hand, guiding me to the shower.

We wandered a few yards from the house as we were on the downward slope of the hill. The slope gently descended down into a dense conifer forest, about fifty feet below us. And beyond that was the deep river valley that drained from the vale, just behind Fuku's house.

All around her house was a well-kept green grassy lawn that was more moss than grass. And dug into the hillside was a neatly laid stone platform that served as the shower and washing place for Mrs. Kenema. It had a tall iron pipe that came straight out of the earth, a place to sit and scrub, and two wash barrels that also doubled as wash basins.

I was too focused on the outdoor shower that I failed to realize that Aki had enchanted my clothing and made them all disappear. It was only when the warm breeze had fluffed up my white fur upon my chest did, I finally notice that I was completely naked.

"Aki!" I cried out, embarrassed.

"What?" she grinned "You cannot take a shower while dressed." She then made her own clothing disappear. I had the unfortunate timing of staring at her as I quickly turned. "Fufufu! You are so cute!"

"What did you do with my clothing!?" as it was my last tie to the mortal world, though it certainly made me stand out in this world.

"Do not fret!" she softly said, bending down as she inspected the pipe "They are safe, for now."