Chapter 9 -- Mikuzume

'Every one of her foxy ways was now so absolutely precious to him that I believe that if he had known for certain she was dead, and had thoughts of marrying a second time, he would never have been happy with a woman. No, indeed, he would have been more tempted to get himself a tame fox, and would have counted that as good a marriage as he could make.'

-- David Garnett, Lady into Fox

I could tell that there was great sadness in Fuku's warm amber eyes. I felt sort of guilty for breaking up this family reunion, they apparently have missed one another dearly. There was also a part of me that wanted to beg Aki to end her pursuit in turning me back into a human, so I could ensure their happiness for as long as I live.

Nevertheless, that path wasn't meant for me to follow it, at this moment. Though in my heart, I had a feeling that someday in the near future, Aki and I would be following this path back to Fuku's front door.

The moment had come for us to all say goodbye as all nine of Fuku's crimson red tails had wrapped around me and lifted me off of the ground and brought me unto her soft furry bosom. She hugged me tightly as I was encased inside fluff, so soft and warm.

"It was so nice to meet you, Sora-chan! I hope that in the future, our paths will cross again. If not, I will wish for only happiness for you."

I was so loved as I replied "Thank you so much for the delicious food and warm hospitality. It hurts me to say farewell, but I also hope that one day we meet again. Either here or in the mortal world."

"It was always my pleasure!" as she sets me down "Be safe."

"Thank you, and you too!" I bowed, trying to keep back my tears.

"It was such a please to see you again." Aki then said her goodbyes "When this is all settled, I'll return for a visit."

"I look forward to it."

We waved farewell to Fuku Kenema as we left the alpine home within the valley of the Shinkirō Vale. It hurt my soul to leave this place behind, but as I held the hoshi no tama within the palm of my hand, I smiled.

'If everything goes well, I might be home tonight!' I wondered how mother was dealing with my disappearance. Or if my lack of memories was a prelude to what was yet to come.

"Your aunt was so awesome!" I mention, seeing Aki's smiling face as she nodded.

"That she is. She certainly does like you!" Aki was smiling, but her eyes held a deeper sadness as if bad news was just around the corner.

We walked out of the meadow and carefully scaled the hillside then skirted the mountain. Aki had me hold her tail as the tail was scary! Once we passed the rock chute and entered the forest on the other side, we passed the many graves of a war long forgotten.

We walked through the noisy forest as birds sang their morning song, and the insects flew in the air. When we reached the torii gate that Aki manipulated to reach this vale, she glanced back at me.

"Are you ready for this?" As the last time I came though, I was dizzy and nauseous. However, this time I felt stronger as I nodded my head, eager to find out if I was going home or not.

"Take my hand." as she wrapped her fingers around my hand and looked down at me. With her other hand, she activated the portal and we both walked into the shimmering vale. "Focus on me!" as Aki thought that it might be the chaotic flowing light and weightlessness that might be affecting me.

Moments later, we walked out the other side as I suddenly held my head, still feeling sick from the experience of teleportation across dimensions and realms "Ugh, that still really sucks!" I groaned.