1.03

CHAPTER THREE!
alternatively titled: monster bird fat

CHAPTER THREE!alternatively titled: monster bird fat

I HAVE TO SAY, CAMP HALF BLOOD WAS BEAUTIFUL.

The Big House had a blue gabled roof and a wraparound porch. The strawberry fields baked in the sun. There were white-columned Greek buildings scattered around the valley, and all of it overlooked the glittering Long Island sound. Nestled between the woods and the creek were cabins—a crazy assortment of twelve buildings.

The place looked like everyone should be out enjoying the sunshine, but there was an air of danger. Counselors and satyrs were stockpiling weapons in the tool shed. Dryads armed with bows and arrows talked nervously at the edge of the woods. The forest looked sickly, the grass in the meadow was pale yellow, and the fire marks on Half-Blood Hill stood out like ugly scars.

Tyson, though, was fascinated by everything he saw, it was nice to see him so excited.

"Whasthat!" he gasped.

"The stables for pegasi," Percy answered. "The winged horses."

"Whasthat!"

"Um ... those are the toilets."

"Whasthat!"

"The cabins for the campers. If they don't know who your Olympian parent is, they put you in the Hermes cabin—that brown one over there—until you're determined. Then, once they know, they put you in your dad or mom's group."

He looked at Percy in awe. "You ... have a cabin?"

"Number three." He pointed to a low gray building made of sea stone.

"You live with friends in the cabin?"

"No. No, just me."

I saw cabin number two, and was inclined to go inside. It was made from white marble, and was formal-looking, graceful with slim columns garlanded with pomegranates and flowers. The walls and doors had images of peacocks carved on them.

I walked towards it, ignoring Percy's protests from behind me. The interior held a large statue of a beautiful goddess in the center with a fire pit at its feet, like a temple. On one side, there was a singular bed in an alcove hidden from the statue's eyes. It had shimmery, champagne coloured sheets and a pastel yellow comforter. The pillow looked recently fluffed.

I caught a whiff of something sweet; flowery. It almost knocked me head over heels, it was the best thing I had ever smelled. The smell felt very familiar, almost home-like.

I felt Percy's hands on my shoulders, "Hey, you shouldn't be in here."

I turned to face him, "Who... Whose cabin is this?"

"Hera," He answered, though he was staring at the bunk, confused. He shook his head, "C'mon. We're heading to the Big House."

☽☾

WHEN WE GOT TO THE BIG HOUSE, THERE WAS A CENTAUR PACKING HIS BAGS.

Again, under normal circumstances this would have shocked me, but I had seen enough crazy today that I was only mildly surprised.

The centaur's face morphed into a smile when he saw me, "Ah, a new camper. I suppose you're Divinia Harris. I am Chiron, though I won't be around for much longer, I hope you enjoy the camp."