Four || Rhinoceros

-Art by itzkresto on Instagram-

"Don't move!" A deep roar came from the boy standing two meters behind me. His powerful words echoed through the abandoned warehouse, pierced through the cerebrum of the monstrous creature before us and charged straight down its spine, making it freeze instantly.

The instance the large curse halted, Maki had already dashed past me to head right for it. I trailed closely behind her as she leapt forward into Panda's outstretched paws, giving her a boost and sending her even higher into the air. She maneuvered her body like a gymnast would in a way to get herself high enough to pierce its wrist with her polearm.

Another harrowing scream left the curse as a deep, purple blood spewed from its wound, causing it to loosen its grip on the frail boy.

His eyes widened as he began to fall but before having the chance to hit the ground, he was engulfed safely in my arms. I moved at hypersonic speeds to catch him in time, making sure to move to a safe distance from the curse once I caught him. "You're a real damsel in distress, you know that?" I looked down cheekily at the panicked Yuta as I held him. 

The other three finished exorcising the curse as I helped the boy to the ground, watching him wince after he held his stomach. "I thought I was going to get crushed to death," He groaned lamely.

"That's what happens when you run straight at it without a plan." I chuckled, throwing one of his arms over my shoulders to help him walk.

Yuta's face dropped like a sad dog, "What was I supposed to do!? Maki looked like she was struggling against it while Inumaki was recovering from the damage to his throat and you were just goofing off with Panda!"

I couldn't help but chuckle at how anxious he was. "It's important to have fun when you're on these sorts of missions." The audaciousness in my voice was evident as I walked him to the edge of the curtain.

"Not when lives are in danger!" The boy fired back immediately.

"Nobody was in danger, dummy. You had me, Toge, Maki and Panda. Everything would have been fine either way; we're strong, after all." In response to my smile, Yuta only gave an unimpressed face.

As the other three approached us, the curtain suddenly fell. Beyond us stood Ijichi and Gojo with a boy in a beige school uniform at his side.

"That was quick! As expected of my wonderful students!" Gojo clapped his hands like a lunatic as we walked towards him. 

Maki relaxed her polearm against her shoulder as she pushed past us to get to one of the black cars. "Whatever, let's just go back."

As I helped Yuta into the backseat of the other car, I glanced at the bored teenager who stood with our teacher. When he caught my eye, I held up my hand, small zaps of electricity dancing between my fingertips. "Pretty cool huh, Megumi? Bet you can't wait to be a sorcerer too, right?"

Although, rather than be totally smitten by my action, the spiky-haired boy just scoffed, "I could hear you guys goofing off behind the curtain. The only one I actually admire is Okkotsu senpai." Strands of his dark hair fell over his face as he rolled his eyes.

"You'll get wrinkles if you keep being so cynical at your age." He lightly slapped my hand away when I ruffled his hair before hopping into the car.

 Toge had taken the seat next to Yuta, being in the middle of us both. Ijichi got in the drivers seat while the rest took the other car back to the school.

The silver-haired boy turned to me with raised eyebrows as the engine started, giving me a look I knew all too well. "Megumi respects me, he just doesn't show it." I snapped back with a grin.