Chapter 6

Y/n POV

Okay! This is it! Finally becoming an Avenger! "Oh my god I'm going to be sick," I said into the com the team gave me.

"You're not gonna throw up, you'll be fine," Nat said from the side of Tony on stage. He was smoothing out his tux and Natasha was helping Steve with the notecards. Still no sign of Fury, which is good in my case, and to be honest I hope he doesn't show.

"Has anyone seen-" I started.

"No Y/n, for the eighth time, we have not seen Fury," Clint said from the vents of the building.

"Also, why was I given a communicator? Like what would be the reason I need one," I asked worried about the response I would get. A chorus of just in case and don't worry about it rang through my cranium. I lowered the volume of the com and smoothed out the pants of the black pantsuit I was wearing. Tony had it tailored especially for me. I tried to convince him that it was too much, and that he didn't need to do that for me, but it was evidently useless. He insisted that I take it and wear it for this 'special event.'

It was almost time! Holy shit, I can hear the press...that is not calming at all. They're so loud. I can't imagine the questions they might have.

Nat went to her position on the stage and Steve started talking, and giving his Captain America worthy speech to the audience. "We are all happy to have a new member such as Y/n and to have her fight alongside us as a fellow co-worker, friend, and new found family. We believe she will make an impact on our lives given the fa-" and of course, Steve was interrupted.

"We are most graciously proud to introduce our newest recruit, Y/n Romanoff," Tony concluded. I went out onto the stage and stood at the podium. There were lots of people, and cameras, and bright lights. Holy crap, I'm gonna pass out! I hate big crowds.

"Hey it's okay, just breathe. You'll only have to answer a few questions," Nat's voice rang through my ear. I nodded, knowing she could see me from the sidelines, and that's when chaos erupted. Everyone shot up, holding their microphones out and raising their hands (as well as voices) like little school kids begging to be picked on by the teacher to answer a question.

I looked around at all the different people. I saw this one man. Blonde hair, blue plaid shirt, sitting calmly and politely raising his hand. "You, sir sitting in row 7 with the blue shirt," I called out. The room got way more quiet than I thought it would.

He stood, pushed up his glasses, and raised the microphone to his mouth, "Where are you from? Are we just expected to watch you pop up, unexpected and out of nowhere, only to assume you are no threat to our society?" I was caught so off guard with the question, my mouth hung open a little.

A few seconds later, I composed myself. I gripped the stand and cleared my throat. "I can assure you Mr...,"

"Jackson, my name is Jackson."

I nodded in thanks, "Mr. Jackson, I can assure you that I am no threat to you, the Avengers, the people, or anyone. I am not here to bring harm, but to help stop the people from creating havoc wherever that may be."

"I am good at this!" I thought with a small smile.

"Next," I called out. I saw a woman, she seemed eager, but not excited eager...nervous eager. She had short, shoulder length, light brown hair and wore a red sundress, with way too much makeup. She looked familiar, but I shook off that feeling because there was no way that I would know her. "You, in the red sundress, in row 12."

"Um, how do we know you don't come from HYDRA? What intel do we have that provides us with reasoning that you aren't planning something as this moment happens? Like what if the whole building would just-" she got cut off by a loud boom. The wall of the building came crashing down and people started to run in all directions. They ran out and away, some took out their cameras to record or take photos, some were on the phone, and some were looking for other people that they came with.