Recess

The next day I got out of bed, made breakfast and got ready for school. Before I left I checked on mom to make sure she was okay, she still had a little hangover from drinking last night, as she slept like a baby.

I exited the door and began walking down the road only to hear someone calling my name.

"hey Shawn!" yelled Amanda as she ran to me

She had just left her house, but I found it strange I never saw her car anywhere.

"hey, I've been worried sick about you, is everything okay?"
"I got arrested but Brock's dad bailed me out, I'm fine"
"I'm sorry I didn't back you up at the race, I saw when he bumped you, but there are just somethings in this city you won't understand"
"it's okay, I'm over that, but um, where's your ride?"
"oh my mom doesn't know about the racing, so I always hide at Shaquille's house"

I gulped remembering I crashed his car.

" Is he still upset with me?"
"well I explained to him that Brock bumped you, I think he understands"

We then walked to school together. After a few minutes we made it to school and walked down the locker halls.

As we walked down the halls we stumbled upon Xavier, who pressed Brittany against her locker, making out.

Brittany was the most popular girl in school, a blonde haired bombshell seductress, and I don't usually judge people, but she was a certified first class gold digger and every guy in school wanted to hit her up, though she'd only date rich guys or dudes with high rep.

She was a health risk though, as she was with a made man from the Lauruso Mafia, and stepping to her could get you shot, if he found out.

But Xavier was a risk taker and had no fears, he commanded great respect in Kelly Park, being friends with made men from the Lauruso Mafia and also friends from the KPB gang, plus he was best friends with the police commissioners son, not to mention I found out he was the top street racer in Kelly Park.

"eww! get a room you two!" yelled Amanda playfully

When Xavier saw Amanda he pushed Brittany off of him in surprise, Brittany was pissed However.

"uh hey, manda, what's up?" said Xavier nervously
"alls good, just don't let Mr. Turner catch you out here" said Amanda playfully as we walked by.

As we walked off I heard Brittany arguing with Xavier over his reaction to Amanda.

"what the hell was that about?, hey manda what's up" said Brittany mimicking Xavier in a mocking tone.
"hey c'mon chill out, she's just a friend" said Xavier as he put his hands around her waist.
"now where were we" as they resumed their tongue tying sport.

Amanda and I got to class and at the back was Shaquille, whom when he saw me screwed his face.

Unfortunately, my seat was right beside him.

"hey man I'm so sorry about your ride" I said as I sat down
"nah man it's aight, but amo need you to help me make up some money"
"what? what do you mean?"
"I got some goods for you to sell breh"
"no man, I'm not gonna sell drugs"

Shaquille then snapped at me with a whisper.

"Maan ain't body sellin drugs, am talking bout bootleg appliances"
"is that safe?" I enquired curiously
"once your with me nothing bad can happen breh, meet me after school"
"okay"

I never really wanted to do it, but I crashed his car after all, and he was expecting to make up some money off of me for it.

After a few classes it was recess, and I made my way to the lunch room.

I got my lunch which looked like hot garbage and went in search of a table. Each table I went to I was denied, no one wanted me to sit with them, guess I'd be eating lunch on the ground then.

But then, I heard someone call out my name and I looked back to see Shaquille and Amanda waving at me. No matter how low my rep was, at least these two didn't care, I felt so relieved as i sat around their table, I wasn't totally alone.

As I sat at the table I saw a redhead girl sitting beside Amanda, whom smiled at me.

"hey Amanda, isn't that the guy who flopped against Brock last night"
"oh that's Shawn, he just moved here yesterday"
"hey Shawn, I'm Amber nice to meet you"
"nice to meet you too Amber"

As I played around with my food, nibbling at a piece every now and then, Xavier and his crew of Jocks came over to our table. He glared at me, and then i remembered he had told me to stay away from Amanda, but screw that, I wasn't gonna let him tell me what I can't do.

Brock stepped out and sat on the desk beside Amanda, giving her that usual goofy smile.

"why are you playing hard to get? you know you want me"

Amanda rolled her eyes at Brock as she ignored him, he then began to frown and was about to say something petty when Xavier came in.

"hey manda, there's a game later tonight, I'd really love it if you came out, come see us" said Xavier with a smoldering smile
"we'll, I won't make any promises now, but I'll try"
"I'll see you there" said Xavier confidently.

Xavier winked at her playfully as he walked off with the other jocks. Amber then looked at her with a grin.

"aww, why does he have to like you and not me" said Amber in a slightly depressing tone.
"what no, he doesn't like me, plus he's a player, he likes anybody with a skirt"
"how do I get him to notice me?"
"show a little cleavage and you'll get his attention alright" said Amanda as she laughed.
"hmm that's not a bad idea" said Amber as she rubbed her chin.
"wait!, I was just joking" said Amanda surprised.

Shaquille and I had to suffer at that table listening to the two girls gossip from boys, to clothes, to who broke up, who got together, to other girls wardrobe failures, etcetera, etcetera.

Eventually I got through the day fairly okay, the only thing was, I was now known for being that guy who flopped at the race last night, and people were not shy to talk about it in my presence.

After school, I stood outside waiting on Shaquille, he eventually came out a couple minutes later holding his bagpack.

"whats up breh, plans changed" as he fist bumped me.
"what, why?"
"We gonna bust my ride out the pound, tonight" as he pulled a crowbar out from his backpack.

This wasn't gonna be the last time I got into trouble with Shaquille.