The beginning

After all these years, you would think I would be used to it by now. As the saying goes you can't teach an old dog new tricks, especially after ten years. All I ask is that he puts his damn phone away and has a conversation with me on our 10th anniversary no less. I'm not complaining just to complain, I mean what is the point of going out to celebrate if you're going to be on the phone the entire time? He's not working, so it has nothing to do with that. Am I just that boring to him that he can't even attempt to hold a conversation with me over dinner?                                                       

"What are you ordering?" He was annoyed with me, so much for conversation.                    

Sigh " I guess the same thing I always get Johnathan. The chicken and shrimp dish that I like," I say his name with annoyance and I know he hates it when I do. I know I'm being childish right now but he annoyed me, and now I am going to annoy him. 

"Do you have to get that? I wasn't trying to spend that much money here. Why don't we share it?" 

"Are you serious right now? That much money?! We're at the Cheesecake Factory for goodness sake, not Victoria-Albert's. It's not even a damn hundred-dollar dish, and even if it was, you could afford that and more." Now I'm beyond annoyed and ready to just get up and find my way home without him. "You know what, just forget it, I'll pay for my own food." I scoff "share a plate. Wow, some anniversary, thanks." I say sarcastically.                  

"Whatever Staicy, it was just a damn question. No need to act like such a bitch."                           

My eyebrows raise exponentially "Excuse me?'                                                                                                                                

 "There's no need to even do all that,  I didn't call you a bitch all I said was there was no need to act like one. Now do you want the chicken and shrimp or not? I mean I thought you needed to lose weight and go on a diet anyway. Look, why don't you just get the chicken or the shrimp, not both?" I rest my chin on my hand and smile incredulously. Ok,  so do I slap him right now or throw this glass of water in his face. Had this waiter not appeared, I might've just done both. ooh, I am so over this day now and ready for it to be over with. Why do I even bother, it's just another fuckin' day to Jonathan.     

"Are you folks ready to order, or do you need some more time?" The waiter asked, unaware of the tension between me and my so-called loving and caring husband.                                                                     
"Yes, I am. I will have the crab bites as an appetizer, the Black Pepper Chicken and shrimp with fries as an entrée, and a slice of banana cream cheesecake for dessert please." 

"Ok, those are great choices, I love the crab bites," the waiter says, "and what would you like to drink?" 

"I'll have a Malibu with cranberry and pineapple please, and also can you make that a whole cake, to go please." I look at Jonathan and just dare him to say something with my eyes so I can embarrass the both of us. Ooh, Lord please give me the strength to not act a fool in here.                                                                                                                                           

"I'll have the chicken and shrimp too." He tells the waiter. I know he wants to say something but doesn't dare because he knows he will hear my mouth for the rest of this evening.