8. Thorns in Asses

Three days passed without a visit from Viviane. Jacob wasn't sure if he should be relieved or concerned. They were leaving Port in another two days, and if Viviane didn't show up tonight, he'd have to track her down himself to let her know.

Frankly, he wasn't keen on doing so. He had enough problems to handle between managing affairs with his Captain and Aladar, and preparing for the voyage. Bran had proven to be a great help through all of this.

Jacob found himself saddened by the fact that Bran couldn't come along. He'd offered to find a position for him to fill, but Bran declined, claiming he'd never hear the end of it from his mother if he left to hunt a sea monster. And besides, he had a good job here and there was his future with Sella to consider.

Jacob understood; or rather, he tried to. Bran had responsibilities keeping him in Port. Jacob did not. He had no mother or father to worry about him. He had no lover to build a future with. He had no wife or children to provide for. The only person he did have in Port was Bran, and if Bran stayed behind, at least Jacob knew he'd be safe and awaiting his return.

"Hey." An elbow jabbed his side. Jacob blinked and shook his head, attempting to clear his thoughts. "You're miles away," Bran said. "Are you all right?" He slid a bottle of rum across the table.

Jacob caught it, but didn't drink. "Yeah, just thinking."

"Are you nervous about this voyage?"

"Yes and no." Bran gestured for him to continue. "As odd as it sounds, I'm more nervous about working with Viviane than I am about attacking the beast. I'm just worried about how this is going to go."

"Well, you could always change your mind and say you don't need her."

Jacob shook his head once more. "That's the problem. I do need her and I know it. I'm just afraid that our mutual dislike of one another will get in the way of our work and cause us to make stupid mistakes."

"Why didn't you think of that before you asked her to help you?"

Jacob gave a wry laugh. "I did. I just didn't see any other options. Viviane has killed just as many sea monsters as I have. She wrote half of the books pertaining to monsters and hunting them. She never had one unsuccessful voyage."

Bran whistled in awe. "And she's how old?"

"Twenty-four or twenty-five, I think."

"Really? She must've been killing sea monsters as long as you did, then."

Jacob shrugged. "I imagine so. I've only heard the same rumors and stories you have. Viviane never confirmed anything to me."

Bran grinned. "Is that where you learned to do the same?"

Jacob mirrored his grin and finally took a swig of rum. "No. I just figured that the taller the tale, the more likely I was to be sought out for contracts, and I was right. Otherwise it might've been hard for a young boy to find work killing monsters."

Bran inclined his head. "True." He tilted his head, eyeing Jacob briefly. "You know, you never did tell me how you managed to kill a sea monster at ten years old."

"It was luck more than anything," Jacob replied. "I had begged my father to let me go on the hunt with him, but he refused, so I stowed away on the ship. He found me after we set sail, of course, but it was already too late to turn around. When the monster attacked, he told me to remain below deck."

"And like the rebellious boy you were, you disobeyed him?" Bran guessed.

Jacob nodded. "I saw them attacking the monster, but nothing they did worked. It was invulnerable from the outside, and that gave me an idea."