40. Reunion

All of Jacob's pain and weariness were forgotten the moment they sailed into the harbor and he spied the Leviathan moored in the shipyard. Relief spilled through him at the sight. The vessel was still in poor condition, but it looked like her repairs had begun.

"We should check at the ship first," Jacob cast back to Viviane, not taking his eyes off of it. "Caspian and Prim might not be there, but someone will surely know where to find them."

"I agree." Viviane was interrupted by a particularly loud rumble from his stomach. "And then we should find something to eat," she snickered.

"Stars, yes," Jacob practically groaned.

His stomach had been gnawing at itself all day, and this was the third day that had passed since his last meal. He supposed he hadn't been as aware of his hunger before due to the shock of everything else.

Viviane had offered to track down something for him earlier, bringing up the many types of plants her people ate, but Jacob had preferred to keep rowing and make it to port sooner rather than later. The promise of a hot savory meal instead of cold slimy seaweed made that decision worthwhile.

Viviane nudged his back with the butt of an oar. Jacob took it and sat beside her. He felt the shift in their speed as Viviane ceased using her magic, but he asked no questions. He could guess her reasoning well enough.

People would grow suspicious if they spied a longboat that was moving faster than an exhausted man and woman could row. There was no need to draw more unwanted attention to themselves than necessary.

Despite Falorea being home to all sorts of species, Jacob was certain there would still be people who viewed Viviane as something dangerous and wouldn't hesitate to cause problems for them, especially because she was a shapeshifter.

Shapeshifting had once been outlawed in Falorea as many had used their ability to the desecration of others. It was commonly accepted now, but there were still those who harbored hatred and mistrust for those who could change their form.

But they couldn't hope to escape without catching any attention. Curious eyes turned their way as they docked near a line of skiffs. Jacob stepped up onto a wooden platform and Viviane followed suit. She slipped her fingers through his with a reassuring squeeze as the Dockmaster approached.

The Satyr stood only to the center of Jacob's chest, but that didn't seem to faze him. He crossed his muscled arms and fixed amber eyes on them. Dark hair, the same shade as the fur covering the lower half of his body, dangled around the base of the ram's horns that curved over his pointed ears. Jacob spied a few streaks of gray in his long curls.

"It costs two bronze marks to dock here. Two bronze and a silver to ensure you'll be compensated if your boat gets stolen," the Satyr said.

"Cut it loose if you wish," Viviane answered. "We'll not be able to pay you until we've met with our Captain."

"You think I won't?" Came the scoffing response.

Jacob shrugged. "I'll do it for you then, and we'll owe you nothing." He reached for Arlen's hilt.

The Dockmaster's gaze tracked the movement and his eyes grew round with recognition. "Either you stole that sword or..." He shook his head in disbelief. "There were rumors that Salvia saw the return of the Human Cerva."

Jacob knit his brows. "She did? Did you hear anything else?"

The Satyr blinked, recovering his gruff attitude quickly. "How should I know? I only catch rumors here and there." He looked back at the longboat, then sighed. "Ack, what the hell? Speak with your Captain and bring me the payment within the next two hours, or I'm selling the longboat."