11. Prejudice and Superstition

Jacob woke only a few minutes before the sun rose. Dawn greeted him when he stepped on deck. The eastern sky was lit by a ball of orange, barely peeking above the horizon.

Golden peach clouds mingled with the lingering stars, though the darkness was rapidly fading and the moon had already vanished. Jacob lifted his gaze to the helm and caught sight of Caspian. He joined his cousin after taking another quick look at the sunrise.

"Will our lessons start today?" Caspian asked, peering at him from the corner of his eye.

"Aye, and more lessons every day until we find the beast."

Caspian nodded. "You shouldn't have any trouble getting the men to listen. After what they've seen, they'll be eager to learn."

Jacob rested his forearms on the railing overlooking the main deck. A few more crewmen had risen and were already attending to their duties. Jacob tilted his head. "What happened last time you encountered Ryujin? You never did tell me."

Caspian sighed and didn't answer for several moments. "We caught up to the beast and attacked it, but it fought back more than we anticipated. It nearly capsized the ship."

He shuddered. "It started wrapping itself around us, squeezing until the hull nearly snapped. The men were shooting and stabbing it at every interval, but nothing penetrated its scales."

"When Kieran Blight showed up, he opened fire on our ship. I think it took the beast by surprise more than anything. It was enough to make it let go and dive out of sight. Blight continued his attack but we managed to get away. We didn't bother looking back to see if he pursued the beast, but I don't think he would have. His ship was damaged almost as badly as ours."

Jacob rubbed his stubbled jaw thoughtfully. "So it hasn't changed its tactics much, then. It sank the Silver Oriole the same way. We'll be able to use this to our advantage."

Caspian arched a brow. "How so?"

"Swivel cannons."

"I'd rather not have explosives detonating aboard my ship."

Jacob smirked. "You think I don't know that? Come on, Cas. Be creative. We'll load the cannons with something that won't destroy the ship, but will still hit the beast hard."

"What might that something be?"

"Whatever the hell we can find."

Caspian shook his head with a laugh. Someone on the deck below echoed it, catching Jacob's interest. He spotted the medic, Emilia, standing beside the galley stairs. A young man accompanied her.

He lifted a fist to his mouth, smothering a light cough, then carried on with what he was saying. Emilia frowned and splayed her palm against his chest. The man laughed once more and covered her hand with his own, saying something that was likely meant to soothe her.

"Amos Wilson, Emilia's husband," Caspian said, following Jacob's gaze. "Do you remember Jedediah Wilson?"

"How could anyone forget that sleazy bastard?"

"Amos is his boy."

Jacob glanced at Caspian, brows lifted in surprise. "I thought you said he was in prison for Jeb's debts."

"He was, but Jedediah turned himself in after the attack on the Crypt and Amos was released."

Jacob clenched his jaw, his gaze falling to Caspian's inner forearm, where the letter P had been branded into his flesh. Caspian shifted his arm so the brand was out of sight. "Emilia was the healer who helped you while you were imprisoned," Jacob realized.