Along Came the Girl

ALONG CAME THE GIRL

BONUS STORY: I asked hubby what his favorite nursery rhyme was so that I could do a short story for his birthday which is today (Oct. 19th). Happy Birthday Baby Boo!

Patience was given a name quite contrary to her personality. Her mother had died many years before, she lived with younger brother and father who was a doctor and a scientist. He was currently researching the live cycle and habitats of bugs. Specifically, those of the arachnid variety.

Unlike her father, Patience did not share her father's love for anything creepy and crawly. In fact, she took pleasure in destroying the tiny creatures with great relish. Her father warned her that destroying a life, no matter how small, always carried a consequence. Never taking his words to heart, the young girl continued her brutal ways.

-----------------

Olivia took care in tucking her small bundle in a dry secure place that was hidden away from the dangers of predators. She sighed with satisfaction knowing that even though her life was ending, the tiny eggs snug in their sack would continue the circle of life. It was rare but she hoped that her babies would all be safe once they hatched and live to adulthood.

Determined to make certain that they were secure, she weaved an added layer of protection. Finally, Olivia was content and tiredly climbed down the porch beam. There was a lovely flower bush nearby. It was a perfect place to spend her last moments and would allow a view to the nest before she closed her eyes forever.

Crawling the short distance, Olivia proudly stared at her handiwork. She pictured her babies hatching and emerging from their small cocoon. The world would be a bright and amazing place to explore. She hoped that they would see the love and attention she gave to every detail of their home. Her daydreaming was interrupted by the thunk of a large round object hitting the rail above the beam where the sac was hidden.

"Found it!" A child's voice screamed. Bright pink overtook Olivia's vision as a little girl's flouncy dress brushed the flower bush. Falling to a lower branch, the spider shook herself to ward off the dizziness from her fall.

"Throw it to me!" Another child called.

"Here Tommy, catch!"

"Come on Patience. Let's go play some more before dinner."

"Wait. I see something up there." She said as she looked on the ground.

Olivia watched nervously as the little girl picked up a stick. Her worst fears were confirmed as the child pried small brown sack from the secure webbing.

"Ew gross!" she said staring at the end of the stick. "It's spider eggs."

"You should put them back Patience."

"Why? They're just going to hatch into a bunch of nasty spiders."

"Because papa said that we should respect life and not kill things unnecessarily."

"Well papa isn't here." She replied waving the stick around. "Hey! I have an idea! Let's burn them!" she cheered.

"No." Tommy said with an appalled look. "Why would you do that?"

"Because I can."

Olivia heard everything and screamed in horror. Using her web, she swung out trying to catch up to the children and save her babies. Her waning strength was ending but her determination pushed her onward. The smell of smoke, burning leaves, and another unsettling scent made Oliva's heart beat rapidly in her chest and her stomach to drop. A smoldering stick lay in the center of a circle of ash. She grieved knowing that her young would never see the light of day nor would they grow and have spiderlings of their own. All was lost.

Rage overtook her. Olivia was dying but she swore that she would make that little brat pay for murdering her babies.

---------------- 

The doctor shook his head, wiping his daughter's fevered brow as she threw up once more. Sighing worriedly, he tried to assure himself that she would be fine in a few hours. Sleepiness weighed heavy and he could not stop his eyes from closing. Waking up with a start and a stiff neck, the man saw that it was early morning. He had fallen asleep next to his daughter's bed. Leaning forward, he placed his hand on her forehead and was relieved that she felt much cooler.

Lighting the lamp, the doctor readjusted the wick, and placed the glass chimney back onto its cradle.

"Papa?"

"Yes, my child?" the doctor immediately responded sitting back at his daughter's side.

"This is all my fault." She whispered.

"No, child. You were bitten by a spider."

The little girl shook her head. "I was eating a snack when I felt a sharp pain. I looked down and the was a little spider on my hand. She told me that I had murdered her children and that this was my punishment." Eyes heavy from exhaustion, Patience fell back to sleep.

Her father sat there pondering if this was some sort of venom induced hallucination or had the fever affected her mind. Either way, the story was bizarre. There was a knock on the door breaking him from his thoughts.

His housekeeper peeked in. "How is she?"

"Better."

"Oh, that's wonderful! I'm starting breakfast now."

"Thank you. Oh, could you make Patience some porridge and I would appreciate a cup of coffee."

The housekeeper smiled. "I'll bring it right up, Dr. Muffet."