Facing the Town

The sun was setting by the time I closed the door on my welcome party and explored the cottage for myself.  That was when I realized how Robin may have glossed over a few details about the livability of the place. The kitchen to the left indeed looked dangerous even for someone with no expertise in the matter, but the rest of the house was covered floor to ceiling with dust, cobwebs, and insect carcasses. Surprisingly, there had been an actual bed, but I couldn't bring myself to lie down on the inch of dirt that covered it. Instead, I ripped the sheets to form the best cloths I could and began a rudimentary cleaning of the bathroom.

I must have fallen asleep against the wall of the main room which serves as bedroom, den, and would-be kitchen because the next morning I find my eyes fluttering in the harsh light of sunrise. Having a phone of any kind, even if it didn't use the Joja plan, seemed too risky back in Zuzu City, but now I wish that I had some way to tell time.

My stomach lurches with something more unholy than a hunger for breakfast, and I make my way to the bathroom for the ritual sickness that has been the norm for almost a week now. After flushing the toilet, I decide that I should make some kind of list to get the ball rolling, so I dig my sketchbook from the little backpack and set around the room to find a writing utensil. In the morning light, I start to make out a few more features of the cottage. There's an old antenna TV, a table and chair, and a bowl of knickknacks on top of the mantle. Only luck would have it that I find a golfing pencil among some old spurs, chicken figurines, and rusty spoons. I sit down at the table after giving it a good dusting and begin making lists.

Shopping List:
Sheets and blankets
Deodorant
Broom
Detergent

To-Do List:
- find the gardening tools
- buy seeds?
- learn about seeds and plants
- meet new people?
- meet the town doctor
- see Robin about renovations
- go to the beach : )

I stop myself before getting too far off track. This will do, for now, I guess. Tucking the sketchbook into my bag, I feel for the little wad of cash I had stolen from Josh's wallet before leaving it in the taxi I hailed. He only likes to carry larger bills, so luckily, I have around 500G to get necessities. Now that the kitchen is useless, that also means budgeting for meals, but I can manage, I tell myself.

It makes me feel accomplished to mark off the first task on my list with little trouble. The gardening tools were neatly laid on a pile of wood under a lean attachment from the house. Do I know what any of them do? Not so much, but they're there. Rusty, but there.

"Alright, Junox," I begin to say to myself, "time to face the town."

Heading east like Mayor Lewis said, I make for the town. It's not too far of a walk, thankfully, and I'm glad I won't need to add learn to drive to my list any time soon. Though, one day maybe that could be a goal? The streets of Pelican are cobblestone and the buildings as old as my cottage. The first row of shops to come into view holds a medical clinic and a general store. I file away the medical clinic for future reference and head into the shop.

"Welcome to Pierre's!" The voice behind the back counter is eager. "You must be our newest resident!"

"Oh, yes," I mumble. "I'm Junox."

"Pierre!" the middle-aged man replies needlessly. "What can I do for you?"

I pull out my list and step closer to the counter. "I need bedsheets, blankets, deodorant, a broom, and detergent. I also was wondering if you know anything about seeds?"

"I have detergent and deodorant in stock along the back shelf." Pierre looks deep in thought with a finger to his lips. "I'll need to order a broom, and Robin can order anything you want from the home catalog. Do you know Robin?"

I nod.

"Good, good, and I know lots about seeds, nothing about plants. What kind of seeds are we talking? Flowers? Trees? Vegetables?"

"The kind that sell well?" I say with no small amount of uncertainty.

Mercifully, the shopkeeper just chuckles. "Vegetables it is then!"

Pierre walks me through the basics of which seeds are in season for spring, how much crop each will yield, and how much each crop will sell for. He even offered to buy whatever I produce, claiming it would "give him a leg up on the competition" to have "the good stuff." I don't pretend to know what he means, but I do thank him for all the help. On my way out of the store, I brush by a head of bright purple hair. Through the closing door, I think I can make out Pierre screaming furiously at the girl.

It's only after I meander a few paces away do I realize that I should have asked where to find the library. Still hearing the furious shouts from the shop, I decide to take my chances with a white-haired woman in red. She tends a flowerbed in the center of town with a bit of a hunched back. Surely, old ladies who tend flowerbeds can't be too bad for asking directions?

"Excuse me?"

"What? What was that?"

"Hello," I call again to the elderly woman trying to wave her attention in my direction.

When she finally plants her gaze upon me, the woman gives me a long look up and down. "My, my aren't you a pretty sight among the lilies."

Heat rises in my cheeks. "Oh, well thank you," I stammer and try to ask my question about the library.

Before I can open my mouth again, the woman jabbers on. "Lewis told me we had Peter's granddaughter coming to stay, and I near did not believe him. You should meet my grandson, Alex. He's quite handsome like yourself."

How is it old people will start match-making without even knowing someone's name first? But the thought forces me to pause. I haven't taken off Josh's ring, I realize with a start and quickly shove my left hand behind my back. How could I forget something as crucial as that?

"I'm not really in the market for a boyfriend right now, but the library will do if you can point me in the right direction?"

"Oh just passed the saloon you'll want to take the bridge on your left," the old woman replies with a smile.

"Great, thank you!" I start to head off before the woman can offer another grandson for my love life, but she interrupts.

"By the way, I'm Evelyn, and if you ever meet my husband, he's George, the crotchety old man." I stifle a giggle. "You can call me Granny if you like. Most people do."

I will definitely not be doing that.

"I'm Junox," I offer with a smile and a quick wave goodbye. I need to get to the library fast, and mark meeting new people off my to-do list forever. This is the stuff of nightmares. "Thanks again!"

Once I'm far enough away, I rip the diamond from my left hand and shove it deep into the pocket of my overalls.

Woo! Once again, votes and comments make for a happy writer, and happy writers write more per chapter if you know what I mean!