Signs and Symptoms

I search Sebastian's face for any sign of deceit, but his dark eyes look soft, almost concerned even when they shift away. When he offers me a hand up, however, I'm too unsure to accept it. Cradling my injured hand to my chest, I rise on my own. Or toddle to my feet on my own.

Deciding not to answer, I ask, "Are you planning to turn me in? I'd rather you just get it over with. There's no use pretending to be concerned."

Thin lips turn down in a scowl.

"I'm not turning you in."

The words send a spark of confusion through me. My lips part in surprise. Why wouldn't someone turn me in? I saw the numbers on the screen; my freedom is worth millions. Money like that can't just be ignored for a stranger.

"Why?"

Sebastian doesn't meet my gaze. He stares at the wood pile to my left.

"Go get another glass of water," is what he says instead. "You need it."

I want to point out that this doesn't answer my question, but that would only give Sebastian license to acknowledge my own deflection. A torrent of confuddled thoughts swirls through my head as I give in to the simple demand. Water is important. Hydration is important.

This time, I hold my cup with both hands as I leave the bathroom. Water tips violently from one rim to another with each step. Even walking on tiptoes doesn't help much.

A bundle of long dried grass has been tied together and hung by the door for so long that dust and cobwebs covered it tip to chaff. Sebastian is using the bundle like a broom to sweep the broken glass out the front door when I return. He doesn't look up when I approach. The dried grasses fill the room with little scratching noises. The rhythmic sound is almost comforting with everything that's happened today.

"If you don't want to talk about what happened, that's okay," Sebastian speaks so quietly that at first I almost didn't catch it. "We all have dark times in our rear view."

I swallow back a big gulp of lukewarm water. It cures the desert that had taken hold of my mouth and tongue despite the metallic tang all the water in town has. I can feel its path of healing all the way to my stomach.

Finally, I ask again, "Why are you doing this?"

The broom in Sebastian's hand stills, but he doesn't look up. "I wanted to be a counselor for the longest time in high school. I even started to major in psychology, but after one computer science class, I knew it was my calling.

"I still finished up a minor in psych, though, and I took most of the basics. We talked about the disease that Joja guy mentioned — LMAS. It's a real disease, but the symptoms are pretty specific. Those affected will have wild delusions that change throughout the day. They often have bite marks or self-inflicted puncture wounds. They have intense mood swings similar to those with bipolar one. They lose awareness of time and often forget to eat or do daily tasks. And they have no memory of their life before the trigger event."

Sebastian holds up the hand he had been counting off the symptoms with as he spoke. "Just from what I've known about you, I could remove three of the five key symptoms. I guess you could have forgotten your life before, but judging by the sonogram in the bathroom... That's not the case, is it?"

I stop breathing.

"You saw that?"

A bright pink flush fills Sebastian's entire face. He tries to hide it by looking in the other direction.

I guess the bathroom mirror isn't the best place to keep my secrets after all. It's not like I can keep this one for long, though. Eventually, anyone with working eyes will know this sliver of truth. At least that's one less thing to keep lying about. Until they ask who the father is.

"It's his, I'm guessing?"

I don't say anything as a way to answer.

Sebastian returns his attention to sweeping. The steady brush, brush, brush of the broom calms me once again. The moment is so peaceful, that I almost don't realize that I'm crying until I try to take a deep breath and find my nose filled with snot. I have to take a ragged breath through the mouth instead as I wipe at the trails of tears.

Someone knows. Someone knows my secret, and they aren't going to sell me back to that pig.

"Oh shit, Junox!" a voice calls from the doorway. "Sebby didn't make you cry, did he?"

Through my murky vision, I make out the blonde mop of hair that is Sam. He rushes over to me in a flash. Long arms wrap me in a hug before I can explain. His shirt is warm from the midday sun and he smells of men's deodorant like my father used to wear.

Over my shoulder, he snaps at his friend, "What did you do?"

"The fuck? I didn't do shit—"

"Likely story—"

"No, no!" I interject. "Sebastian cleaned up the broken glass, and I was just so, so thankful that I started crying. I'm not used to people being so... kind."

Another half-truth.

Soft hair brushes my cheek as Sam pulls back in a rush. There's an emotion in his eyes that I remember Gussy having often. It had always been so foreign to me that I never knew what to call it. Sadness? Disbelief? Pity?

"You were bullied in Gulf City?" he asks incredulously.

I open my mouth, but no sound comes out. I don't know what to say or what half-truth is the correct response.

Thankfully, Sebastian clears his throat. "I think the farmer has been through enough today. She may not want to talk about what she left behind in the city just yet, and we should respect that."

Sam smacks a hand against my arm. "Right! Of course, Junox! I'm sorry for whatever happened before you came here, but you can rest assured, Seb and I will make sure you never have to go through that again! And just to show you what we mean..." he pauses to pull a square black bottle from a plastic bag and some fresh bandages, "you are going to sit on the porch and watch us finish up this lumber right after we treat this cut for good. You got that, Junox?"

I stare open-mouthed and stupefied. "But—"

"No buts," Sebastian says. "We got this."

I gotta get this chapter posted early to join in some wedding shenanigans, but I am so excited to finally be able to double post next week! It turned out perfect timing with Easter, and you guys have been so encouraging that you have earned a treat! Thank you for reading, and happy Friday!