Congratulations

Despite the lingering fatigue from the following day's events, I can't seem to sleep in. My thoughts tumble from one event to another as I try to understand everything that's happened in the past twenty-four hours. Seeing Gussy was a perfect distraction from my grandfather's death. Knowing that my best friend is looking out for me and doing everything in his power to keep me safe lightens the weight in my chest.

Knowing that this means Gussy's life could be in danger makes me want to stay in bed forever.

"What do you remember of the Gibbens?"

I shook my head. "Neil was one of Josh's closest friends, but his wife was one I was strictly forbidden from talking to." It was usually my job to keep the women entertained when couples came to the house. "Mia only came over once, and they locked her in a bathroom. I had to swim laps in the cold for hours."

"You... what?" Sebastian growled. The tension he'd been holding all night reached a climax.

Gussy turned up his nose in disgust. "Ah, yes, I remember the fever you got the next day."

"These people should be put in prison, or hell, let's just slice off their dicks with a butter knife," Sebastian spat with a venom I couldn't imagine him capable of.

Across the table, Gussy eyed Sebastian with brows raised in silent approval. "With the help of Mrs. Gibbens that is exactly what we hope to achieve."

"Slicing penises?" I muttered in confusion.

"If they'll allow it," my old friend laughed casually, "but I would like to stay focused on sending these bastards to prison. At least that will be attainable if we present the public with enough indisputable evidence. I have a number of witnesses and victims from the Exchange that are willing to go on record if we can get the files that Mia Gibbens so kindly downloaded on a little flash drive."

"What files?" Sebastian asked.

At the same time, I blurted, "There are others?"

To Sebastian, Gussy smiled in satisfaction and answered, "Candidates for Mia's replacement, of course — a list of Future Mrs. Gibbens." The satisfaction dropped from flawless features as Gussy turned to me and said, "Yes, dearest. There are many more women, men, boys, and girls in various stages of the Exchange. I have only managed to make contact with a select few whose spouses are either on their side completely or care so little about their comings and goings that the exchanged were able to build a new life for themselves outside the home. Sadly, with the heat placed on purchasing families by the Exchange after all the press about you and Mia, those in the latter category have found their freedom is dwindling quickly."

Scratches and poorly carved letters covered the wooden table in front of us. I found myself unable to lift my gaze from the relief there. If I didn't look at Gussy in that moment, then the pity in his eyes would not confirm the weight in my chest. I could pretend that I was unaware of the violent twist in my stomach.

"What can we do?" Sebastian mumbled. His voice was barely audible over the thrum of a square dance.

The man across the table made a sound of contemplation before finally responding with equal gentleness, "Stay hidden. Don't get yourselves caught at all costs." Something heavy and metallic slides across the table. "Make sure she has that on her at all times, and I'll be in contact. In the case of an emergency, just press the top button three times. Once I find Mia, I'll get the ball rolling in court, and then I want all the testimony I can get."

"M-mine too?" I whispered.

Gussy nodded. "But only if you're up to it."

I wanted to say yes. I wanted to tell Gussy that of course, I would be the first person to speak up against the crimes of  Joshua Jones, but my mouth wouldn't form the words. I couldn't bring myself to make the promise.

I couldn't even nod my head.

"Hi-yah, Junox!" The carpenter's voice rattles me from the dazed exhaustion. Though the sound is familiar, I can't seem to calm my heart long enough to manage a convincing smile. I drop the mail I had been collecting when an attempt to wave back blows up in my face.

"Oh, I am so sorry, Robin." My voice is barely a whisper. "I'm not sure what's wrong with me."

A head of red hair drops to the ground with me as we gather papers with colorful advertisements and bills with little plastic windows. "No worries, farmer!" Robin holds out her stack to me. "I hope you haven't gotten whatever Seb caught. Germs spread pretty quickly in a small town."

The sour feeling in my stomach intensifies when I realize the web of lies I've pulled Sebastian into even with his own mother. "I-I'm sure I'll be fine." I swallow and try to smile broadly once more. "Thanks for helping with the mail!"

As I gesture to the stack in my hands, the energetic woman before me lights up even brighter. Robin points to a loudly decorated paper on the top of my stack. "The Songs of Summer Social! Are you going? Did you know Sebastian's band will be playing this year?"

"Sebastian's band?" I parrot. My mind cannot keep up. I should have stayed in bed this morning. Snippets of the conversation from the bar play over images of the freshly broken ground at the cemetery. I try to shift my train of thought to the conversations between Sebastian and me. We were together for over a day. Did he tell me his band was performing? Was I just too distracted?

"Actually, Mrs. Robin, it's technically my band," says another familiar voice from the edge of the farm, "and I was going to tell Junox at the dance yesterday but..."

"Sam," I whisper as Robin shifts to the side and a frizzy mop of blonde hair comes into view.

Something inside me breaks loose at the sight of my friend. It's the tightly wound ball of grief and fear that makes my chest heavy. I throw my arms around Sam hoping that this is the cure to the endless thoughts of rain pelting soft dirt, black cars with family crests, bars that play only terrible music, and greedy assholes who want to see my world burn. I press my face into Sam's chest so tightly that his ribs bruise my nose and forehead. I squeeze his midsection as I squeeze my eyes shut against the pain inside.

But I'm still broken when Sam pulls away, unfazed, and beaming.

"Thank you, Juni! Your support of my musical endeavors is greatly appreciated," Sam says with theatrical bravado. He must think the hug was congratulatory, and why wouldn't he? Sam knows nothing about my secret or what I've been facing. I have to pinch my thigh in order to hold an encouraging smile in place. "I was just on my way to personally invite you to the concert. You have to be there; I can't perform without my biggest fan!"

A smile brighter than any stage light rips another hole in my stomach. This is the same smile Sam gave me after I listened to his album and said that it was the best thing I'd ever heard. I wasn't lying, but somehow this moment feels like I am. Sam needs a friend to say "Congratulations!" and "Of course, I'll be there!"

Sam doesn't need to hear about my struggles. 

"Congratulations," I say.

I've already burdened too many people.

"Of course, I'll come."

This post is (currently) fourteen minutes late for a Friday, but I really wanted to get it out there. Thank you all for bearing with me through the Flower Dance. I know those aren't characters you have been well acquainted with in this specific story, so it may have been hard to have four chapters of subplot in a row. This chapter isn't stupidly important to the plot, but I'm hoping it will get things back on track for some angsty buffer chapters I've had written since last year. *Sighs*

This was my first week as a master's student, so we will see where the wind blows between now and the next fourteen days. Please check my profile conversations to see if there will not be a post.

Happy Friday :/