Aftermath ❤ (Power & Control p2)

Cece deals with the aftermath of that morning, angst, pining, bit of fluff at the end

Word count: 3902

~~~

It had been 2 weeks since that morning and I hadn't been able to stop thinking about it. It was starting to make things weird; every time I saw Spencer I pictured him... A lot of ways, and consequently, I'd been avoiding him. And Aaron. It was unintentional... At first. Now, though, I felt a pit in my stomach, filling with dread as I approached Rossi's front door. Aaron had invited me to join the BAU team for an impromptu dinner party, and failing to come up with a good excuse, I'd agreed. I clutched the bottle of wine at my side, my stomach turning as I knocked. My eyes squeezed close as I waited, taking a deep breath, hoping to calm my nerves. I opened my eyes, painting on my best fake smile as the door swung open, Spencer's eyes bright as he welcomed me in.

"Hey, Cece! I'm glad you came," he grinned, glancing me up and down, his eyes lingering just a moment longer than they used to. I felt the heat rise in my cheeks as his eyes met mine, the hair on the back of my neck standing up. My nerves vanished as he smiled. I had never been able to identify it, but something about that smile could make all my problems fade away. I blinked hard, shaking the thought from my mind as Spencer lead me to the kitchen.

"Hey Chicka!" Garcia shouted from across the room, prompting the team to turn and wave, before Rossi called their attenion back, snapping his tongs in Prentiss' face. Aaron met my eye from among them, waving me over. He wrapped his arm around my waist as I took my place beside him.

"Glad you could make it," he said softly, pulling me into him. I crossed my arms over my chest, catching myself as I went to pull away, though not quickly enough. Aaron's arm dropped from my waist, his hand finding his pocket. I glanced up at him, his glare strictly trained on the stove, his expression void of emotion. Oh, fuck. I'd seen Aaron mad before, and this wasn't quite it. It was like the spilt second after an arguement, when he's resolved that he's lost. I'd only seen it a handful of times, but it was an expression I would never forget. I'd liked it before, it always meant I'd be getting what I want. But it'd only ever been trivial. And I didn't know what was at stake this time. I tried to focus on Rossi's demonstration, but my focus pulled across the island, my eyes constantly drawn to Spencer. I could feel him watching me, bringing my nerves back. I spent the rest of the night the same way, uncomfortably trying to focus on Aaron, met with stone, trying and failing to keep my eyes off my best friend. Slowly, everyone began saying their goodbyes. I hurried through them, hoping to sneak out before Spencer or Aaron, knowing I needed to process how I felt before I could face either one of them. I ducked through the outstreched arms as the group gathered around the door, dodging hugs in my quest for freedom. I'd gotten halfway down the path toward my car before the voices called into the night.

"Cecelia!" Aaron and Spencer shouted in unison. I turned to them, Spencer turning to Aaron, gesturing for him to go to me, waving to me and hurrying past us as Aaron fell in beside me. I watched after Spencer as he got in his car, quickly driving off in the direction of his apartment.

"Cecelia, we should talk in your car," Aaron said as he started toward it. I followed him, the pit in my stomach forming again. I got into the driver's seat, Aaron taking the passenger seat, turning to me with the same expression. He looked me over for a moment before speaking again, his eyes now changed. They were softer, sadder. "Cecelia, I care about you very much," he started, my mouth going dry as he spoke. "And I know you care about me as well." The corner of his mouth twitched in a small smile, making my pounding heart ache.