Challenge 16 - It's All In The Name

Dr. Cravitz removed his sensory suit with a smile. It was another successful day of entering the avatars of endangered animals. Even with little funding from the government, he and Dr. Bloom's project was really making a difference. It was one thing to study animals but it was quite another to actually walk in their footsteps in order to figure out how to really help them. Part of the thanks went to Dr. Bloom's brother, Ezra, a successful engineer who brought his tech team along to construct the avatars and design the programming.

"How is the data not enough!" Dr. Bloom shouted as she entered the lab, shuffling papers between her hands.

"What's wrong Irene?"

She slammed the papers down onto her desk. "Our funding is being cut for the Polar Bears!"

Dr. Cravitz got up and began rubbing her shoulders. "We'll figure it out. We'll put together more research and--"

Dr. Bloom clasped her fingers around Dr. Cravitz hand. "They say our research can't reverse climate change. Their habitats are shrinking and there's no changing it. They're going to let the Polar Bears die off. The Fish and Wildlife Service signed off on it and the President will announce it later this week."

"Were those their exact words?" He replied with disbelief.

"Yes." She said more emotional now than angry. "What's going to happen if they keep cutting back and letting animals just, die..."

"We'll make them understand!" Dr. Cravitz insisted.

"But how?" Dr. Bloom asked.

"Have them step into the avatars for themselves!" Ezra replied, looking up from his computer.

"But they're not scientists." Dr. Bloom replied as if her brother was being absurd.

Ezra narrowed his eyebrows. "The two of you revolutionized animal research. Now its time we invite the government suits to step into the avatars for themselves. Or else theyll never understand the importance of our work."

"That's actually brilliant!" Dr. Cravitz snapped.

"Yeah, well, you might be doctors but I'm the brains of the operation." Ezra grinned.

Three days later an email was received, stating that the President was putting the announcement on hold pending a new development. By the next Monday, two Government representatives stepped into sensory suits at their San Francisco lab. Ezra then connected with their lab in the Arctic to make sure transmissions were syncing with the Polar Bear avatars. Once confirmation was received, Ezra hit the Ttansmit button and off the doctors went into cyber space.

The first to wake up was Dr. Cravitz, followed by Dr. Bloom as the Arctic lab assistants helped her come to consciousness. They both stretched their paws in front of them and let the assistants fit cameras onto their furry heads while the two Reps adjusted to their foreign bodies.

At first the Reps slipped about clumsily through the terrain, which was normal but then they finally got the hang of placing one giant paw in front of the other. They walked for an hour, explaining to the Reps where the Polar Bears were getting food, where they slept and where they congregated with other Polar Bears. However, the real testament of how Polar Bears lived wasn't going to be as enjoyable.

"Ready for a swim?" Dr. Cravitz asked the group.

"A swim?" One of the Reps asked in return.

"This trip wouldn't be complete without swimming in the Arctic Ocean." Dr. Cravitz replied.

Dr. Bloom nodded her furry white head. "He's right. Swimming is a large part of how Polar Bears travel."

"Well then..." The other Rep began, "Then I suppose we have no choice but to swim."

They walked to an edge where the freezing water lightly splashed against the icy shore. Dr. Bloom went first, taking a heavy dive into the water but then she bobbled along, paddling her large white paws.

"It's really liberating!" She called out and began doing spins in the water.

"We're going to swim to an island about fourty miles away." Dr. Cravitz explained as they all dove in.

"Fourty miles!" The other Rep exclaimed. "Is that normal?"

"Oh absolutely." Dr. Cravitz paddled his paws. "Polar Bears are well known for long distance swimming in order to find food. Longest swim on record is four hundred and twenty miles. Took ten days."

"Fascinating." The Rep replied.

"Yes, except it greatly depletes their bodyfat." Dr. Bloom added. "Which makes the cold less tollerable for their journey. Not to mention that many starve during summer when glaciers are melting. Hence the distance swimming."

"No kidding!" The other Rep replied and was becoming winded from swimming.

"Pace yourself. Use the webbing in your paws to push you along." Dr. Bloom advised.

The doctors continued swimming and chatted facts, keeping their breathing steady but the Reps were struggling and growing tired.

"How... much... farther?" One asked.

"Fifteen more miles." Dr. Cravitz replied.

"There... isn't... somewhere... closer?" The other Rep breathed.

"No. There isn't." Dr. Cravitz replied dryly. "This is what polar bears do in order to survive. And many die out here."

Just then, one of the Reps took a big gulp of water after struggling to paddle. The Rep splashed about trying to stay afloat while the other Rep shouted for the doctors to help them.

"Keep swimming. Polar Bears don't just stop." Dr. Cravitz replied casually.

"PLEASE!" The Rep shouted. "HELP US!"

"We can end this." Dr. Cravitz began, "Only if you let us keep doing our research."

"Or we'll let you die!" Dr. Bloom added. "Just like the government is planning to do with all of the Polar Bears!"

"YOU'RE INSANE!" The Rep shouted, taking in more gulps of water.

"Our Tech Team just needs to pull us from the transmission and you won't die. Convince the President to keep our funding!" Dr. Cravitz growled.

Right before the Reps were done for, the transmission was cut and the foursome was back in San Francisco. The doctors knew the mission left its mark as the Reps scurried out of there.

An understanding had been reached between them.