Chapter 7 - With Camilo

"How do you feel?" Camilo asked softly. Luz looked up at the ceiling trying to focus their eyes. "Better. I can't believe I fainted though." They slowly sat up and faced Camilo who was sitting by their feet on the couch.

"Well Im not surprised. From physically manifesting to dealin' with my folks all evening Im surprised you didn't pass out sooner." he said behind his sly smile.
Luz nudged him with their foot. "Quiet you."

Everybody who was in the room earlier had gone to their own rooms already. "They wanted to apologize for spooking you earlier but theyre kind of old and its really late so I told them Id watch you till you woke up." Camilo said standing up and stretching. He held out his hand to Luz.

Without letting go of their hand he walked them to the table. "Tia Julieta left out a small meal to heal any bumps or bruises from the faint , my mom left you some soap and things to bathe, and lastly Luisa and Mirabel left you some clothes they made together awhile back. " He said calmly. After a few moments of silence he felt his hand get warm. "Wha—" and thats when he saw it. Luz was blushing so badly it was almost a pink glow. Thats when he also realized he was casually holding their hand like some kind of....HAND HOLDER PLAYBOY. He quickly let go "I, uh...oof. Um. Sorry you know its late! And I don't usually just go around holding peoples' hands! But! Also Im usually around family! And, uh, that's normal right?! A GUY CAN HOLD HIS FAMILY'S HANDS RIGHT?!" Luz nodded furiously. "YEAH TOTALLY NORMAL TO ME. NOT LIKE ITS A BIG DEAL THOUGH! ITS JUST HAND HOLDING HAHAHAHAHAHA." they said robotically. They both sat there laughing awkwardly before it just went quiet.

Luz was flustered. Physical contact to their people was normal. You fixed peoples hair if it was in their face. You linked arms or held hands while walking with others. Friends would lean against eachother or lay their heads on the others laps while having conversations. Cheek kisses were a greeting and a goodbye. So why was this so awkward. Why were they so embarrassed?! Is it cause of what the older women said? "Marry a Madrigal." The words repeated again. Luz swatted at the air as if they were trying to get rid of the thought physically.

Camilo was rubbing the back of his neck and looking down. This anxiety was new to him. He was well into his 20's and an adult now. Hes even had previous relationships but Luz felt different. "Maybe its a magic thing." he grumbled. He was a quick reactor. Always ready with quip or joke. He was laid back and a clown but Luz was bringing out a new feeling of wanting to be dependable. It reminded him of when his dad told the story of how he always felt weak and slightly inferior to his now wife when they were younger. She was always healing his mistakes and was so so reliable. It just made him want to be ....more. He sighed "Ive known them for like half a day....what is WRONG with me? ....Why do I want to build them a house and buy thrm flowers already?!"

They both looked at eachother. Luz calmed down and gathered everything in their arms. "Um... can you show me where I can clean up and change?" Camilo nodded and started walking to lead the way.

"Make an effort." Their mothers words echoed in their head. "Marry a Madrigal" followed. Luz blushed again. It made sense. Theyre magic too. And..... they glanced up at Camilo and down at the clothing the girls had made. "....Theyre really nice."

Luz inhaled deeply and decided. They may be awkward and a bit disconnected. But they were also brave and willing to try things they feel like they would enjoy or would bring them happiness.

"Camilo?" Luz said quietly. He stopped and turned around. "Yeah?" Luz stuck out their hand again. "Can we..." before they even finished their sentence he had already walked back and grabbed their hand. "Yeah."

After leaving Luz to change and bathe. Camilo sat to think. Earlier, before Luz had woken up the women of the family let him, Bruno, Luisa, and Mirabel know what was said that caused them to faint in the first place. It was was shocking at first and they were all super embarrassed but all it took was his mom getting snarky like she does.

"What? Are you all saying you wouldn't marry Luz?" she said smuggly. They all got quiet and gave silent protests. "I thought so." She said between laughs.
"Give it a chance. We've essentially recieved their mother's blessing as is. Its all up to you now and if you want to pursue or not. We won't force you."

Camilo tussled his hair and shot up the moment he heard the door open. Luz adjusted the clothing, hoping it looked alright. "It looks nice." he assured. Luz nodded and tried to fight the pink tint on their cheeks. This was all so embarrassing.

As they walked to Luisa's room Camilo began to speak again. "....So what our moms said..we dont want you to feel pressured." Luz twitched. "So they told you...?" "Mhm."

Luz sighed. "I could die." "Take me with you then." Camilo retorted. They laughed. "We all want to be your friend first. From there...." He stopped. Looking up at him Luz could see his ears were red. "Well we'll see what happens. Just cause they think its a good idea doesn't mean it is. But anyway, first lets just get to know eachother. Afterall you could be a mountain demon who was sent here to eat us all to maintain your eternal youth of something." He joked trying to calm himself down. Luz took offense and decided to get even. They pulled Camilo's hand downward and back to bring them closer. "And if I was I'd eat you in a single bite." They said close to his ear. Camilo felt every drop of blood rush to his face while he covered his ear with both hands. "Y-YOU. I. WELL I DON–. *wheeze* YOU CANT jUst. LUZ!" his voice squeaked. Luz laughed and ran up to the door that obviously belong to Luisa.

"Goodnight Camilo." Luz said with a little wave and sly smile before turning to knock on Luisa's door.

"GOoDnIgHt!" He squeaked back before speed walking to his door. His heart was in his throat. He felt a smile creep across his still hot flashed face. ".....oh man" he chuckled. "What is WRONG with me."

Luisa opened the door. "H-hey Luz! I was just getting the room ready for you!"