iv . haze

𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒!
( 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑟 )
𝗁𝖺𝗓𝖾

LUKE'S FIRST DAY in the hospital was oddly fun — certainly much different than what he'd been expecting, all thanks to Ashton and the other teens crowded in the day room with them

LUKE'S FIRST DAY in the hospital was oddly fun — certainly much different than what he'd been expecting, all thanks to Ashton and the other teens crowded in the day room with them. The day room was small, nothing more than an indention in a hallway filled with blue chairs and a TV hidden behind a dirty plastic panel.

It was miserable, of course. Cold, sad, lonely, and technology-free. But, for some reason, Luke didn't feel the urge to burn himself once. He felt content, stable perhaps. He felt like he belonged somewhere. He had people who understood him. In this place, he wasn't crazy. He was just like everyone else — scars on extremities, family issues, and shame. Everyone understood and didn't look at you with that pity-filled gaze that always seemed to make an appearance when people found out how sad you really are. It was refreshing. It was humanizing.

Plus, the other kids were surprisingly funny and upbeat. Ashton and Louis argued all day long, while Mikey and Calum mocked them and giggled with Harry about it all. Sierra was mainly quiet, but sometimes told Luke a joke or two about the boys which were always enough to make Luke break out into a fit of giggles.

"I'm telling you that bananas are a vegetable," Ashton deadpanned to a red-faced Louis, who'd flat worn himself out trying to argue with the redhead that was simply pulling shit out of his ass to be annoying and get some laughs. He'd certainly succeeded because nearly everyone except Louis was breathless from laughing so much.

"You've lost your fucking mind, haven't ya?" Louis snapped while Harry rubbed his arm comfortingly, muttering not for the first time that if Louis wasn't careful, he'd soon receive 'booty juice,' which had been explained to Luke to be a sedative administered as a shot in your ass. Fun stuff.

"I'm being serious, Lou! All fruits have seeds, right? Have you ever seen a banana with a seed?" Ashton's voice was light and playful as he turned and shot a wink in Luke's direction, making the blonde laugh because he simply couldn't believe what in the hell he was watching. Of all the things he'd thought a mental hospital would be, this was not one of them.

"Bananas do have seeds, you absolute idiot! Shut your mouth before I get a banana and stick it up your—"

"Luke!"

As much as Luke would've loved to stick around and hear the rest of his new friends' riveting argument, his name was called by the nurse just after the ringing of the phone echoed out in the open floor area. He stood after receiving a reassuring smile from a giggling Ashton and a shake of a head from a seething Louis, and trailed over to the nurses' station, which was no more than a yard or two away from the TV, taking the phone receiver as it was handed to him.