ix . the beginning of the end

𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒!
( 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒 )
𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖻𝖾𝗀𝗂𝗇𝗇𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗈𝖿 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖾𝗇𝖽

"I'M SO PROUD of you, buddy," Jack smiled widely, his face nearly identical to Luke's beaming with joy and pride

"I'M SO PROUD of you, buddy," Jack smiled widely, his face nearly identical to Luke's beaming with joy and pride. The corners of his eyes crinkled as he grinned and pulled Luke into a tight hug. "I told you we'd get through this, didn't I? All of us, together. But, mate, you did this. You got better, and I couldn't be more happy for you."

"Thanks," Luke smiled sheepishly, not used to this kind of validation from his usually more playful older brother. Honestly, he sort of liked it. It seemed like Jack had taken on the role of proud protector since their mum was in the hospital, though apparently she was going to be going home very soon according to Jack which was enough to bring Luke's already good mood to something more like ecstatic.

By the time visitation was over, Luke had a bounce in his step and a bright smile on his face as he and a few other stragglers were led back to the day room. He happily walked in, expecting to see Ashton's bright face smiling back at him. What he found, however, was an empty spot where he'd left the redhead after telling him of his pending departure from the hospital. Ashton had seemed happy, overjoyed even, which had only made Luke happier. Now, though, the blonde had a pit of worry in his chest. He looked around, thinking perhaps Ash had gone to sit with Sierra or Harry, but he was nowhere to be found. Like frowned, locking eyes with Calum, who had a worried look on his tan face as he sat writing in a notebook.

Luke wandered over to Calum, taking the empty seat next to him and not missing the way Calum looked guiltily worried as he glanced over at the blonde.

"Calum, do you know where Ashton is?" Luke hated how his voice sounded so high-pitched and vulnerable. He hated how he worried so easily when there was probably nothing to even worry about. Ashton was probably just in the bathroom or something.

"Uh, yeah," Calum frowned, pausing what he was doing and scratching the back of his neck with an unreadable expression on his face. "He's in your room. He had emergency medication a few minutes ago, so he'll be out for awhile."

"Emergency medication?" Luke repeated, having a haunting feeling that he knew what that was. "As in..."

"As in they stuck a shot in his ass because he apparently had a breakdown with his social worker," Calum replied sharply, though it didn't seem to be directed at Luke. Calum's hard gaze was pointed at the wall for the briefest moment before he went back to doodling in his journal. Luke, however, wasn't done with the conversation.

"Breakdown? What the fuck? Is he okay?" Luke rambled, feeling angry and worried tears sting at his eyes, though he didn't quite know why. Stress, probably. He always was one to cry when he was stressed. And to think he'd been so happy when he walked in...