viii . everlasting solitude

𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒!
( 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 )
𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗋𝗅𝖺𝗌𝗍𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗌𝗈𝗅𝗂𝗍𝗎𝖽𝖾

FROM AN OUTSIDER'S perspective, Luke and Ashton were growing closer and closer

FROM AN OUTSIDER'S perspective, Luke and Ashton were growing closer and closer. They always sat together, sneakily held hands, whispered in each other's ear, giggled over any and everything. But, in reality, the boys had a rift between them — one that not both of them were aware. It was an unspoken, troublesome issue that no one knew the root of — not even Luke. The only soul on Earth to know the cause of the trouble was Ashton Irwin.

After that night together spent kissing and cuddling in the blankets, giggling every time they would nearly be caught by a tech, Ashton had never been happier. He felt himself truly smile and laugh for the first time in years. It wasn't that fake, corny bullshit he usually pulled. It was all genuine, because of Luke. Luke made Ashton happy.

But, of course, nothing can ever last, can it?

Not even two days after their relationship took it's big turn, Luke came rushing into the day room after a meeting with his social worker, the biggest smile on his face.

"Guess what!" he'd exclaimed, looking unfathomably adorable as he sat next to Ashton and tugged on his arm like a little boy would.

"What?"

Ashton could vividly remember feeling so happy because that cute boy was his. He'd kissed those plump lips and ran his fingers through that soft, blonde fringe. He was so unbelievably lucky. But, then, quicker than Ash could even blink, it was all ripped away.

"Mariam says I can go home soon! Like in a day or two!"

Despite feeling his heart stop beating in his chest, Ashton had kept a strong exterior. He'd grinned widely — something he'd become far too good at — and hugged his maybe-boyfriend (they hadn't decided on a label yet), congratulating the blonde and assuring him that he was so completely proud. Which, he was. Of course he was. There was nothing Ashton wanted more than for Luke to be happy and healthy and ready to see the world again.

But it was painfully obvious that Ashton would not be leaving anytime soon, and he, now that he had someone there for him, was scared to be alone. Scared to be left. Because Luke was leaving. In a day or a week, it was inevitable. And Ashton would still be there. He'd be alone in his room, reading the same book for the umpteenth time. He wouldn't know where Luke was or what he was doing. He'd probably never see Luke again, and that thought killed Ashton. He couldn't live without this giant bundle of joy that made life so much fucking better. Now that he'd gotten a taste of it, how was he supposed to go without?