17. Mizpah🥀

"What do you mean? Mom looked at me with an utter surprised expression on her face.

I looked at the police officer. "Can you give us some moments?"

"Sure." The police officer smiled and got himself busy with other things on the desk.

I looked at my mom. "Mom, I don't want to jumble myself with any more troubles."

Mom took a long deep breath and rubbed on my shoulder with some warm affection.

"I understand, right now you are tired. Well, let's head home, you can take some rest then when you will feel better, we will ...."

"Mom, I am completely fine." I cut her off. "I just don't want to hire any lawyer."

"But why?!" Mom looked frustrated.

"Mom," I whispered loudly. "We don't have that much money to hire a lawyer. Did you forget that?"

Mom paused for a moment then she squeezed my hand. "You don't have to think about that. Mom will take care of it."

"I'd rather use my time to go to work than meeting with lawyers and going to courts." I said firmly. Then I looked at the police officer. "Please charge her only for breaking the law."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Very well." The officer started to type on his laptop.

"She can charge back again if she changes her mind, right?" Mom asked hopefully. I rolled my eyes.

"Of course." The officer gave us an assured smile.

*~*~*~*~*~

"Should we order some takeout?" I asked as we entered our home. Mom put the key carelessly on the tripod beside the door.

"Yeah, sure."

"Indian or chinese?"

"Whatever you want." Mom answered me while rushing to her room.

I opened the Just Eat app and started to choose some local indian restaurant near me. I was almost done with the ordering process. My mom suddenly came and threw a few papers on my lap. I stopped whatever I was doing and picked up the papers curiously.

"What are these?" I read the first few words on the paper. They were all about bank statements. I read further and my eyes widened in shock.

Thirty six billion pounds!

"Ahhhhhh!!!!" I screamed in shock then quickly looked around to check nobody was there. Then I looked at mom and whispered in a very low tone.

"Mom, whose money is this?"

"Mine." Mom said in a very calm tone.

"What do you mean, yours?!" I checked the amount again. There were so many zeros. One, two, three, four, five, six.....Okay, I lost count.

"Mom, that's a lot of money." I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. "Where did you get them?"

"They are mine?"

"What do you mean, mine?" I looked at her in disbelief. "Try making a little sense. We are dirt poor. How come you suddenly own this much money?"

"You are asking so many questions!" Mom sighed. "I got this money from your dad. And I didn't use it because I had my reasons."