CHRONICLES OF CHIDERA PART 2

EPISODE 2

Christmas had always been an exciting period in our house. But, this year's Christmas was different because mom was heavily pregnant with 'my friend from heaven'. So,  aunty Esther, my mom's younger sister came around to help out with chores

Aunty Esther was my favorite aunt amongst all my aunts maybe because she always visits or because she always buys me gifts. Despite being very beautiful, she was still single, the only single one among my mom's 5 sisters and the last child of their mother.

By this time, my mommy's tummy has become very big and she would make me and my daddy do all the chores, she would scream at my father at any little provocation, even aunty Esther was not spared. I was the only one who was spared from her troubles and the adults around would always explain to me that the sudden change in my mom's attitude *was because she wants to have a baby. I would always pet her and in return, she would rub my tiny hands all over her belly and make me feel the kicking of the baby. It was fun and impatiently, I waited for my friend who would* become my sibling to arrive.

Ours was a very happy family except for my mom occasionally screaming at my dad who takes all in good fate, with a smile and love he will attend to my mom and make her happy at all costs.

The new year has come and gone, the holiday was over and I wasn't so excited to resume school as I have gotten so used to playing with my mommy and my friend in her womb and also taking my mom for her early morning walk.

It was March already. I came from school one day and met my mom lying on the floor in pain. She was groaning and trying to reach for her phone. I rushed to her and tried to calm her down.

"hello daddy, mommy is crying, I think you should come" I hung up without waiting for his response and returned to tendering to my mom.

A few minutes later my dad drove in

"is it time baby? " he asked my mother while holding her

"my water broke already. Hurry" she said almost in a grasp, still groaning.

My dad gathered my mother up from the floor and took her to the car.

He returned, headed straight to their room as if I was invincible, and came out with a heavy bag, neatly packed.

"Dera. Go to mama Chizoba's house and stay there. I will call to talk to you soon please baby. Mama and I will come back with your friend okay?"

I nodded.

He placed a kiss on my forehead and ran off.

I heard him open the gate and zoom off.

I quickly changed clothes and headed for mama Chizoba's place, our neighbor from the next compound and a good friend of my mom's.

I spoke with my dad 1hours later and he gave instructions on what I should be fed and asked that I stay there in case he didn't come home that day.
Everyone teased that I was going to become a big sister very soon and I began to run out of patience. I could simply not wait to behold my friend, maybe I would recognize her.

By 6 pm. My dad came to mama Chizoba's place to pick me up. He was all smiles and one could tell that our baby has arrived.

"Oga Johnson, She don come down? " mama Chizoba asked and my dad nodded

"praiiiiiiiiiiisssssseeeeee thaaaaaa Looooorrrrrddd" she shouted

"hallelujah," we all echoed.

"baby what? "

"baby boy " daddy said with a big smile...

Haaahhhh mama Chizoba and her eldest child started dancing.

"But daddy, I don't want a boy, I want someone who can wear my clothes and make the same style of hair as me," I said frowning.

My dad walked up to me and held me closely.

"don't be sad now pumpkin. A boy is also good. Okay, how about we wear him your clothes and plait his hair, we can disguise him like a girl just for the fun of it"

I laughed and my mood lightened.
"yes, it will be fun"

"mama Chizo thank you very much for taking care of my girl for me without prior notice, you don try for us. Her mama says make I bring her"

"oga Johnson, that one no be issue. Oya make una go quick... Night dey come. Ehhhn, when is she coming home because I can't wait to see her and aboy ooo"

"she go come in the morning"

"ah naim be say she strong well well"

"yesooooo. If not that I insisted she stayed, she could have been discharged tonight. God is so faithful my sister. Make we begin dey go"

We said our goodbyes and left.

I was so excited. I and my dad discussed a lot in the car. His phone will ring at intervals disrupting our conversation. The callers were all congratulating my father and he will smile broadly and said "thank God ooo" he was so happy about this very child of his, his son!

I wondered if he was this happy when I was born and I asked him about it. He shouted that he almost died of happiness, he squeezed my hands and said.

"you opened the door for all of this. Never forget that, never forget who you are,  a queen, a joy giver. You are rare, you are a perfect gift from God, the best thing that ever happened to us... You are CHIDERA!  You're too big a child and one day, the world will know that.... "

A call interrupted. He picked!
Hello... Yes... What? " the phone dropped from his hand,
His mouth opened like the door of an Anglican Church on a Sunday. His body became stiff and he lost control of the car.

I kept shaking him, I kept shouting his name, hot tears ran down his cheeks and I began to cry as fear gripped me.

Our car began to sway from left to right, and my dad was just stiff on his chair, then I saw our car heading towards a big tree, I let out the loudest shout, and gbuuuuaaaaaaaiiiiii our car ran into the tree. That was all I know before my eyes shut lights out and welcomed the darkness.

Remember, I am CHIDERA Johnson.