Chapter 4

Jennie

I was sweating and looking all messy when I finished the longest X-Ray I did in the clinic so far.

It didn't help that I barely got any sleep last night after an interesting dinner with Jisoo and her friends.

I realized that I haven't had a decent night out for months, until last night. It also felt good to have someone ask how I'm finding Seoul or what my favorite things are. She was also very animated when she told us her stories, it was addicting to watch.

"Hey", I greeted Wendy as soon as I got out of the lab.

"Hey. How was the X-ray? You took a lot longer than expected."

"Well, the dog wasn't very cooperative and we had to take multiple angles. I didn't want to sedate her so I had to be patient."

I grabbed my phone to order lunch when Wendy handed me a bag.

"Someone came in earlier. She dropped this off for you."

Confused, I took the bag and peeked at its contents.

My mouth formed an O shape when I saw the all-too-familiar titles inside.

"Books", I whispered.

"Books?" Wendy walked closer to look at the contents. "I didn't know you were studying again?"

"I wasn't", I said as I pulled out all the hard covers one by one. Veterinary Medicine books. And the expensive versions, too.

"Who dropped these off again?"

"She said her name's Lisa."

"Lisa? Huh. I don't... I'm so confused."

"She's a hottie, too. Too bad she looked a little out of senses earlier and left as soon as she handed me the bag. How do you know her again?"

"She was a client and my cousin's friend."

Wendy squealed with the realization.

"Is she the same client who brought you lunch several weeks ago??"

I nodded, trying to dismiss the conversation.

"Why is she bringing you medical books now? Is this some kind of inside joke that you guys have established?" She was grinning ear to ear and I couldn't help but laugh at her.

Just in time, a couple with three dogs came in for consultation and got both of us occupied.

The rest of the afternoon was busy as a lot of new clients have checked the clinic out and had their pets tested.

By 4PM, Wendy and I were dragging our feet to get the last batch of reports filed. I persuaded her to go home and rest as she's in charge of opening tomorrow while I take care of a personal errand scheduled in the morning.

Once I was done with everything, I plopped down the couch to rest.

I was finally able to check my phone and opened it to send a quick message. "Will be there at 9 tomorrow. J."

I grabbed the books from Lisa. There's no way I am ending the day without clarity. I opened our records and looked for her number - ignoring the possible breach of client-doctor relationship that's barely existing anyway.

She answered after the fourth ring.

"Hello?"

"Lisa?"

There was a pause on the other end.

"Jennie?"

I felt flattered and amused that she recognized my voice.