Chapter Thirteen

A/N: Grammatical errors throughout the whole story. The whole story contains spoilers from the manga. Beware.

P.S Will be using one POV from now on.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

(Y/N)'s POV

Gojo Satoru and I were similar but not the same. Like parallel lines that are equidistant but never meet. Like oil and water, which are never supposed to mix. As in a spectrum, there is dark and light.

In our situation, I suppose he is the light and I am the darkness. He's a Gojo, a vessel for powerful cursed techniques. He was destined to shift the balance in the jujutsu society from the moment he was born. He was the light, destined to shine. In contrast, I'm here in the ostensibly dark. Unfortunately, a girl born in a clan that rarely produces girls was destined to be the light's darkness. I was created solely to be his bride and the mother of his child.

I am disconsolate in a world dominated by power, strength, and patriarchy. There seems to be nothing I can do but accept my fate. That is my fate. But I refuse to accept this fate. It's unjust.

But destiny, in some ways, alters its course. He offered to call off the engagement I'd been avoiding my entire life, which presented me with an opportunity. He is not required to do it. In fact, he has complete control over what he does with me. It's just that our convictions are aligned right now.

We are both opposed to this marriage.

Now that he's the one who suggested calling it quits, I can have the freedom I desired. All I have to do is say yes. So, what is it that makes me feel this way? Why am I hesitating?

"Let me think about it..." Careless words slipped out of my mouth. I noticed his eyes widen as he was taken aback by my response. We were both taken aback. I wasn't thinking clearly. I'm not sure why my response is like that.

"I thought you were-"

I suddenly stood up. "Can we talk next time? I suddenly feel ill." I lied.

I saw his confused expression before it immediately changed to a bored one. "Alright, there's nothing we can do if you don't feel well. Then, I'll be going."

All I can do is nod before he left the room. What did I just do?

"(Y/N)? Are you all right? Is something bothering you? Hina is here; tell me about your worries." Hina's gentle voice soothed me. "If it's alright with you."

I shook my head as Hina took a seat beside me. I decided to visit Hina after having a talk with Gojo Satoru. "Don't worry, Hina. Nothing's bothering me."

"(Y/N), do you realize how much of a bad liar you are?"

"Was it obvious?"

"Too obvious. I am worried." I looked Hina in the eyes. They were concerned, and I sometimes felt like she was my mother. I never had a mother.

"I'm fine." Again, I lied.

"Okay, if that's what you meant. But please know that I'm here if you ever feel alone, distant, unheard, or as if the world is conspiring against you. Hina's always here. I won't leave you, (Y/N)."

I feel at ease and loved. For the first time today, I smiled. Oh, Hina, I'm at a loss without you.

Hina is the personification of her given name. The sun and light. She's friendly and lovable. She is my refuge in this dark world. She's my sun.

Izumi's words suddenly entered my thoughts. "My lady, the world is a harsh place. So, I hope you find a companion who will be your refuge in this harsh world. Someone who will make life bearable." Maybe in this harsh world, Hina's my companion and refuge. Right?

"A mini-museum has been built near my shop. I've heard it's lovely. Let's go take a look, shall we? " Hina extended an invitation. I nodded to clear my mind. "Of course, why not?"

I couldn't take my gaze away from a painting titled "Alcestis, the Tragedy." Something about it appeals to me.

"It's a lovely painting, isn't it? I heard it was inspired by the tragedy that befell a woman named Alcestis in Greek mythology. Do you know that story?" I heard a man beside me speak in a smooth and gentle tone. I turned to face him, and he was looking at the painting with a small smile on his face. His black hair is tied behind his back. I examined him from head to toe. He was dressed in a white dress shirt tucked into his pants. His left arm was draped in a black coat. His bangs eventually drew my attention. I thought to myself, 'Bangs.'

I returned my gaze to the painting in front of me, "No."

"Are you interested in listening to the story?"

I nodded. "Go on, I guess."

The man chuckled, "Alcestis is a princess who loved her husband so much that she sacrificed her life for him. She gave up her life in exchange for his. It was a tragedy."

"That's all?"

"That's all."

After hearing the story, I'm not sure I can give up my life for my husband. Unless I have feelings for him. If and when I get one. Can I sacrifice my own life for him if he becomes my husband and there is the danger? I don't believe I can. Why am I thinking about him at all? How annoying.

"That's a bland reaction," he commented. I looked at him, "Am I supposed to cry?"

He shrugged, "Not really."

Silence ensued. I feel awkward. Can I go now? Where is Hina, by the way?

I tried moving my head to look for Hina, but I couldn't find her. She probably lost track of time and space while scanning artworks in the mini-museum. I should not have become distracted by the painting "Alcestis."

"Are you in a hurry?" said the man.

"No, I'm not."

"Are you looking for someone? Are you here with someone?"

"Ah, yes. I am." I replied.

"Boyfriend?"

"Don't have one. I'm with my best friend."

"Oh, I see."

Again, silence. I want to go now.

"What's your name, by the way?" He questioned and that caught me off-guard.

"I was told not to tell strangers my name."

The man chuckled, "Are you a kid?"

"No?" For some reason, I feel offended.

"You look like a lost kid." He continued. I glared at him and he just laughed at me.

"Alright, I apologize. I should introduce myself." He faced me and gave me a gentle smile. "My name's Geto Suguru. Nice to meet you, Miss."

SHIRABUBBLEBUTT | 2022