Chapter 10 - The Wyld Heart

RED

The woods were eerily quiet as we marched through the ashes, kicking up powdery flurries with every step

The woods were eerily quiet as we marched through the ashes, kicking up powdery flurries with every step. I cinched my scarf tighter around my mouth and nose, scowling at the particles that somehow made it through and stuck in the back of my throat. Even more baffling was Eddy's brazen ability to nose through the sediment unaffected; she pulled up root after root, snuffling and chewing, snuffling and chewing, until a cloud of dust seemed perpetually suspended around her.

It didn't take long for me to realise I was better off bringing up the rear of the party. Not only because of the dust, but because Rana was still sulking at the head of the group, insisting on a pace that left me gasping for air. She'd wanted to fly me straight to the Sun Temple and let Gretchen and Sebastian take Eddy home on their way, but I'd refused on the account that it was my quest to see through. Gretchen and Sebastian had also protested the idea of separating, as it as the Earth Mother had asked us to travel together.

Needless to say, Rana had taken it personally, making a point of the failings of my body while flouting the strengths of hers. Apparently living in the mountains increased one's lung capacity and overall fitness, as the air was so thin that the body learned to compensate.

I simply wished my body would learn to compensate for the lack of air down here. Some of that old hatred for myself bubbled up, and I wished that I could shift or levitate at a moment's notice. My head was spinning, spots flying across my vision, and my hands were stained black from the bark of all the trees I'd grabbed for support. I didn't understand how Sebastian slunk so effortlessly through the debris, or why he even bothered to stay in human form when he could lope through the woods at twice the pace in wolf form.

Not that I'm complaining, I had to admit, admiring his new clothes for the umpteenth time. Unlike his old patchwork shorts, his new shifting leathers moulded perfectly to his form, showing off the lithe muscle rippling through his frame. It was a full set of ebon armour, with matching boots and a utility belt replete with a set of throwing knives. The steel had a sickly green tint when Sebastian pulled one from its sheath, and Gretchen had quickly barked a warning not to test the edge with his bare hands. It turned out she'd lined the sheath with Weaver venom.

It was the greatcoat she'd found that was most flattering of all. Woven from lycan fur instead of leather, it changed colour and texture at the will of the wearer, reacting to Sebastian's innate Change magic. It was currently a deep grey that made the red of his eyes pop, allowing him to blend more seamlessly with the woods. I found myself staring at the way his shoulders filled the fabric, surprisingly broad given his agile stature; the way they bunched as he pushed Eddy's head away from his new boots, which she'd started to nibble on without discrimination. Even after pushing her away, he ruffled the filly's mane with affection. My heart softened at the sight.

As if summoned by my thoughts, Sebastian glanced over his shoulder, frowning at how far I'd fallen behind. "Are you sure you don't need a ride?"

"I'm fine," I wheezed, clutching a stitch in my side. "I can walk."