Chapter 36 - Afterglow

ORIANA

We lost ourselves in the throes of an ill-advised passion, scrunching our eyes shut against the blinding light, groping and tasting and testing as if we were closeted in perfect darkness

We lost ourselves in the throes of an ill-advised passion, scrunching our eyes shut against the blinding light, groping and tasting and testing as if we were closeted in perfect darkness. We only pulled apart when the amethyst burned so hot that our skin started to prickle where it pressed up against the wall, and even then I had to shield my eyes against the glare as Bastion set me down. His incredulous laugh was an addictive sound, one that left goose flesh in some of my most sensitive places. I shivered in spite of the heat, already aching for more.

I fought the urge to stamp my foot, infuriated by the interruption — even if it was by my own accidental design. "Again," I breathed, already leaning up on my toes. He smirked and obliged, curling into the kiss with maddening patience.

The crystals kept flaring in response to strong bursts of emotion, and I couldn't control my reactions as the wild boy swept me off my feet — literally — and lavished me with all the brooding attention I'd been craving for the past two months. I'd barely managed to push his shirt up to his shoulders when it happened again, only this time it was me that leapt back; the linen was smoking beneath my hands, ignited by the heat of my skin.

"That's new," he said, quirking an eyebrow. The troubled look in his eyes belied that mocking tone, and I felt thrill of fear at the unexpected barrier. "Let's see if it happens again."

"That sounds like an excuse to kiss me again," I mumbled against his lips, trying to keep the mood light.

It was impossible to make light of our tangling limbs, though. Every single hair on my body stood to attention, anticipating the tantalising sweep of his roving hands. I was on the precipice of rationality, mere seconds away from hurtling into instinct with no return, when I felt him stiffen ever-so-slightly beneath me.

"Bastion!" I exclaimed, recoiling from the edge. "Why didn't you say something?"

He fanned his blistered fingers, as if shaking off water instead of a serious burn. "Don't worry, it'll heal."

"That's not the point," I said, pursing my lips. "I don't want to hurt you at all."

He sighed. "Then maybe that's a sign."

"No," I blurted out, feeling his absence even more keenly than usual. There was a different kind of space opening between us as he turned and knelt, plunging his hands into the river. With every second that passed, it felt stranger to think of him as Bastion, as if it was too personal a name for the aloof stranger he'd become.

"I can learn how to control it," I said meekly, fighting the urge to reach for his shoulder. "We just need a little more time."

Those lean hands stilled. "And practice?" he asked, glancing back.

"Every day," I said, with as straight a face I could manage. "Morning and night."

He tossed his head back and laughed, that sharp, barking sound I'd found so intriguing the first time he shifted. More wolf than man; as if he was caught off guard by his own human reactions.