Chapter 37

As the pair walk through the doors into the main lobby of Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital, Maya's eyes begin to dart around and her posture stiffens. It does not go unnoticed how badly Maya's palms were sweating as Carina clung to one while they walked the halls of her work, on route to the exam room closest to her brother's office.

It was a well-known fact that hospitals made Maya shifty and itchy. Since dating Carina, she had come around about them but when she was the subject of discussion within a hospital's walls, it was extremely easy to tip the blonde off and face a very defensive and fussy Maya in return.

They pass Andrew and Amelia in the hall, ahead of schedule and they all enter the room together. Carina's heart is still sunken into her gut and her stomach itself is in knots. The tension and anxiety are beginning to burn within her, causing her to gag and raise a hand to her mouth to fight it down. Andrew immediately picks up on it and flashes her a look as they enter the exam room.

"Carina, it's nice to see you here. What's the occasion?" Amelia asks, bringing her friend into a soft hug and whispering in her ear "You okay?"

Carina nods, and nods again in the direction of Maya.

"This one can't sit still, so I figured if I wanted to spend some time with her, it had to be here. Plus, we have some big news, I think." Carina says, smiling faintly at Maya as she begins undressing and taking her shoes off, shuffling over to the scale where Andrew stood. His welcoming demeanor was calming to Carina, as he was smiling cordially at both Maya and his sister, observing how Carina was anxiously toying with the necklace around her neck obsessively.

The second Maya turns her back and steps on the scale, Amelia shoots daggers at Carina, shaking her head, not buying the Italian's placation and acting. Carina wears her anxiety and anger on her eyebrow and in the twist of her lips, and it is quite loud and easy for someone like Amelia or Andrew to notice. They both had been at the receiving end of a very annoyed and animated Carina many times.

"Oh yeah? What's the news?" Andrews asks playfully, sensing the tense nature of his sister and not wanting to pry into it.

Maya clears her throat and motions to the scale, all four of them pausing to take in its reading.

"Wow! Congrats, Maya! You have officially hit your first weight goal! Congrats!" Andrew says, the two of them high fiving and continuing into their secret handshake, earning an eye roll from the other two women. Carina sighs heavily and begins folding Maya's pants and hoodie, feeling the pull for order as the conversation was destined to be heavy.

Her face was green with anticipation and worry, see-sawing back and forth in her head on how she should approach the situation.

Maya was still using. And it was still breaking her body down, that was evident in the vomiting and lack of restful sleep, telling in the colors of the dark hues that sunk in around her eyes.

Carina was torn.

Should she tell Amelia and Adrew about Maya's continued drug use? Shouldn't they know already? Or should she keep this all to herself, keep the facade of happiness up and not ruin their weekend?

Should she call Diane? Maya does need help, clearly.

No, Maya would kill her if she interfered with her work life like that. It would keep her out of action again and the last time was pure misery. It was also obvious that Maya was a sly and sharp manipulator when it came to therapy, as she had already all but earned all-clear from Diane.

But Carina couldn't stand the notion of sitting idly by and letting Maya get away with this. It was becoming more and more obvious that Maya wasn't sober and hadn't been for a while.