001

Two songs I forgot to add to Side B of the mixtape- Chelsea Dagger, by the Fratellis, and A-Punk, by Vampire Weekend.

Jocelyn Whittaker was the new kid- that's all they knew her as.

When she'd moved to Hawkins, Indiana, a month prior, she had been nervously anticipated the unwanted attention she would receive. Sure, as a new kid in such a small town, people were curious about her. But now, no one sent he so much as a sideways glance. Except for some random guy with cute hair (whom she had no classes with) who seemed more interested in her than the couple sitting across from him. Or his lunch.

Lyn was well off; nice home, cat. Her dad was single, due to her mom drastically misreading a situation, thinking he cheated, and leaving. Oh, well, they were better off without her anyway. Mr. Kurt Whittaker had his own physical therapy office by the square, which made for pretty good business.

Her father had a plethora of nicknames for her- Jocelyn, Jocie, Jo, Lyn, Cupcake, Sweetie-pie. Ya know, the works. But even with Kurt's massive stockpile of names, the only one who got to use them was her new friend Nancy. They met a little ways through 4th quarter when assigned a history project together.

That summer, Nancy and Jo hung out quite a bit. It made Jo feel more welcome, and gave Nancy one of her first real, close friends since Barb. But just a few days before the 4th of July, she grew distant. Said she had to cancel their plans to go to the Independence Day Festival on the fourth.

Jocelyn was disappointed, but not surprised. In an attempt to lighten her spirits, she called her best friend, Lydia (portrayed by Laura Harrier, bc I can).

The phone rang for a few moments, and Lydia picked up her phone on the other end

The phone rang for a few moments, and Lydia picked up her phone on the other end. "Hi?"

"Hey Lydia, it's Jo."

"Oh, HI!"

They chatted for a little bit before Jocelyn thought to mention her dilemma. She asked for advice about the boy.

"Oooh, someone has a secret admirer!"

"No, Lydia, he's not-"

"Well, I say, if this keeps happening, you flat-out ask him what the absolute hell he's doing! And you said he's cute? Keep that in mind, just in case he turna out to be a good guy. You never know."

"Um... okay. Oh, and one more thing- I have one real friend here, and she just cancelled our plans for the 4th of July. Something about a family emergency with her brother. And, uh, I get it. But what if it's fine, and Nancy keeps avoiding me? I don't know, it's happened a few times, but this is the first time she's given me a reason for it... "

Lydia paused for a moment, trying to understand. "Okay, I understood about half of that, You're talking too fast. But, uh, I'm not sure. Just go with it."

Oh, because that's so helpful. "Well, thanks. I gotta go help my dad with something, bye!"

"Bye?"