Lyn was shooketh. (Reference to another amazing book I don't remember the name of). She personally thought Lydia was crazy, but decided to at least try and learn more about her "admirer".

When it actually happened, it was totally an accident. Jocelyn was simply hanging around Starcourt Mall, as she hadn't checked it out yet, when she started craving ice cream. The nearest place was a little ice cream parlor called Scoops Ahoy inside the mall.

A girl with choppy, wavy hair that almost matched the color of caramel wheeled around as Jocelyn stepped up to the counter. "Hey, Dingus! Break time's over!" she called, opening a small window to the back room.

A disembodied voice came from behind. "Yeah, yeah, just a second. Jeez, Robin, chill out!"

Lyn chucked from her spot at the front of the line, but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw the guy the voice belonged to.

That was the "mystery guy", the one her best friend was so insistent on learning about.

Her breath hitched in her throat, as though all her previous thoughts had been sucked out of her as she lost her train of thought.

"Alright, um... Welcome to Scoops Ahoy, I'll be your captain... God, these stupid company policies are SO annoying..." he muttered. The girl in front of him found it endearing and giggled. As soon as the boy glanced up, his face grew red and his eyes wide. "Oh, sh- sorry. Sorry. But seriously, what can I get for you?"

"Uh, I'll have a scoop of v-vanilla and a scoop of strawberry in a c-cone?" she phrased it like a question, which he thought was strange, but just told her to sit down while she waited for them.

A few minutes later, Jo was happily spinning around on her chair. The girl from before showed up to deliver her cone and collect her tip. As she leaned over to hand her the cone, she whispered, "I'm Robin, that's Steve. He's a total dingus sometimes, and he was an ass in school, but he's not so bad anymore. And he's totally hitting on you, he told me about some girl a t school who pretty much sounded like you. You've been warned."

She said the last bit so light-heartedly that Jocelyn could tell she was (at least, mostly) joking. But those words, from both, left a strange impression on Jocelyn Whittaker, and a feeling she couldn't quite place.