Crashing

AN: I will never write badly about Kirstie's actual boyfriend. He seems great for her. I refuse to bad mouth a truly good guy just for the sake of my story. As far as I'm aware, the personality of the made-up boyfriend I'm writing is pretty far from Kirstie's actual boyfriend as well. Eric is just the first name that came to mind. Sorry if any of you are named Eric!

Also, this story is actually finished. I'm just going to upload a new chapter every few days so you don't have to worry about me not finishing it and leaving it. This story is totally finished. I've been writing on it for about six months now, although I wrote almost the entire story in the past six days. I'd had the first chapter done since about December of 2014. Something or another seems to have inspired me in the past few weeks, so I just used that desire to write to finish this! 

____________________________________

Kirstie happily dug through her pocket until she found the key to her and Eric's apartment. The European leg of the tour had just ended and she wanted to surprise Eric, her boyfriend of a year and a half, by coming home early. She had originally planned to arrive sometime late in the night but their flight was pushed forward, so here she was, five hours earlier than planned. She quietly opened the front door to the apartment and was immediately nuzzled by Olaf, who'd clearly been waiting anxiously for her return. He was acting a bit strange, more reserved than usual, and she couldn't figure out why.

After setting her still full suitcase to the side, she quietly made her way down the hallway towards her and Eric's shared bedroom but paused when she heard a loud thump. Confused, she waited in place for the sound again, only this time it was followed by a rhythmic pattern. She felt like she would be sick... That thumping sounded very suggestive. A few seconds later, a loud moan filled the hallway, confirming Kirstie's worst fear.

Tears filled her eyes as she awkwardly backed out of the hallway. Olaf let out a low whine; now she knew why he had been acting so strange. Unsure of what to do, and too ashamed to confront her cheating boyfriend, Kirstie quickly leashed Olaf and grabbed her suitcase. There was no way she was going to stick around here for any longer than she had to. The apartment that she had grown to love suddenly felt cold and uninviting, as if she were the one that shouldn't be here. Disgusted with the situation, she turned and left with only the clothes in her suitcase and Olaf.

She made her way out of the apartment complex, uncaring that there were people staring at her running makeup, and loaded her car back up. Unsure of where she was heading, Kirstie left the building and just began driving. Olaf's happy face was the only thing keeping her from completely breaking down. She couldn't believe that Eric had done this to her. How long had his affair been going on? She thought that he had cared about her but clearly she'd been wrong. When you love someone, you don't cheat on them. Hell, she would have even understood if he had manned up and broken up with her because he'd found someone else. Sure, she would've been crushed, and might not have understood his reasoning right away, but at least she wouldn't have been humiliated. At least such a gesture would have shown that he respected her in some form or fashion.

Kirstie realized with a start that she'd parked in a residential area, in front of a familiar house. She'd spent plenty of time here in the past few years since moving to Los Angeles. Olaf was obviously pleased with her choice, if his rapid tail wagging was any indication. Kirstie cleaned up her makeup in her car visor mirror before exiting the car with an excited Olaf on her heels. The walkway to the front door was lined with beautiful green grass on each side, making the house look the part of a beautiful suburban home. She stepped up onto the porch and glanced at the worn swing, recalling plenty of nights spent in the cool California air. Hoping that she didn't look like death, and praying that someone would answer the door before she lost her nerve, she knocked on the oak door quickly.

A couple of seconds passed by with no sound on the other side of the door. Just as she turned to head back to her car, the sound of the lock clicking reached her ears.

She spun around just as the door swung open to reveal Avi's confused face. "Kirstie?"

It was clear that Avi had decided on an afternoon in, most likely tired from traveling earlier in the day. He was wearing a simple black t-shirt and loose pajama pants. His hair was pulled back in a quick and messy bun, unlike the perfect styled bun that he normally wore.

Before she could answer, Olaf decided he'd had enough of the strangely tense atmosphere and jumped up on Avi, intent on being petted. Avi was clearly surprised by Olaf's sudden presence if the comical widening of his hazel eyes was anything to go by. "And... Olaf?"

Avi seemed more suspicious now, rather than confused. "Kirstie? What's going on? Is something wrong?" His eyebrows had scrunched together in an oddly endearing way, though she'd rather die than tell him that.

Suddenly finding her voice, Kirstie moved towards Olaf to pull him off of Avi. "I... do you mind if I," she glanced down at Olaf and reiterated,"we, come in?"

Avi shook his head, clearly confused by the way his afternoon was turning out. "Oh, sure." He nervously scratched he back of his neck as he lead her inside. "Sorry for the mess. Kevin told me to bring his bigger suitcase home and I just sort of... sat it in the living room instead of his room." He had a sheepish smile on his face by the end of his admission.

Kirstie felt like an awful friend in that moment. She had totally forgotten that Kevin was going to only stop off in LA before heading to his parent's house for the next week, saying that he felt as if he hadn't spent any time with them recently. Kirstie half-heartedly smiled at Avi. "It's fine. You've seen my apartment much worse than this. You know I don't mind."

Kirstie made her way to her favorite seat, and old and worn out recliner, and made herself comfortable before smiling at Avi, who'd resumed his place in a nest of blankets on the couch. Olaf was resting his head in Avi's lap, obviously loving the attention that Avi was giving him.

Kirstie cleared her throat, hoping her voice wouldn't crack in front of Avi. "I'm sorry about dropping in on you. I just..."Avi was looking at her with a patient gaze, waiting for her to continue. Shame filled her again, making her suddenly hesitant to tell Avi what had happened. It was embarrassing that her boyfriend clearly wasn't pleased enough with her.

Just as she'd gotten the courage to tell Avi what had happened, she felt her phone vibrate against her leg. Her stomach dropped when she saw that Eric was calling her. He must have noticed that Olaf was gone, along with her car. He had to know that she knew about the other woman. Unable to deal with him, she just ignored the call. She'd deal with him later.

Taking a deep breath, and using Eric's phone call as motivation, she looked up at Avi who'd been patiently waiting, all the while rubbing Olaf's soft white hair, and spoke. "Eric's cheating on me."