Argument

She thought she'd feel relief after telling Avi what happened but it only made the feeling of shame increase, causing tears to form in her eyes. Unable to look at Avi, she stared at her lap as she continued in a weak voice. "I heard a couple of loud thumps and then a moan and... I knew. When I heard her moan, I'd decided I'd heard enough and walked out. All of my stuff, well everything that I care about anyways, was still in my car so I just left. I'm not going back there."

Avi had been surprisingly quiet, prompting Kirstie to look up from her lap. She wished she hadn't looked. His face was flushed red and his mouth was drawn tightly, jaw clenched, looking every bit the part of an enraged bull. Suddenly, she was afraid that Avi would go and do something stupid. He'd always been protective of her, ever since meeting her, and she'd always been happy about it until now. What if he went and got himself in trouble over her?! Kirstie jumped up from her seat and made her way to Avi, who was still staring a hole through the wall opposite him. She shooed Olaf, who was oblivious to the man's change in mood, and took the other spot on the couch beside the angry man.

Avi turned to her then. "Give me one reason why I shouldn't go over there and beat his ass right now?" His voice was trembling and Kirstie winced.

She grabbed one of his clenched hands. "Because we both know how much of a drama queen he is and he won't hesitate in calling the police and you'll get in trouble." Kirstie leaned against his shoulder, partly to try to calm him down and partly to weigh him down in case he tried to stand up. She wasn't taking any chances.

Avi scoffed. "Of course he would. I just... Why would he ever cheat on you, of all people? God knows you don't deserve that." His voice still had a hard edge to it but the tremble was gone, which she hoped was a good sign. Avi was usually so calm that she'd never actually seen him angry before so she wasn't really sure how to handle him.

Just before she could reply, her phone began vibrating again. Avi tensed again and Kirstie was ready to scream. Did Eric want to get beaten up? Granted, he didn't know that Avi knew, but that was beside the point. She had no desire to speak to him again... maybe Avi could let out his anger and get that point across at the same time? Before she could stop herself, she thrust the phone towards Avi.

Avi wasted no time in snatching the phone and answering it and putting it on speaker. Eric immediately started talking. "Kirstie? Olaf's gone! I can't find him anywhere!"

Kirstie couldn't keep quiet. "You asshole. I took Olaf after I realized you were cheating on me. Are you really so stupid that you couldn't put two and two together? Did you think that Olaf had somehow figured out how to unlock the front door?" She realized it felt very good to snap at her ex-boyfriend after putting up with his dramatics for a year and a half.

There was silence on the other end of the line for a few seconds before Eric sighed loudly. "Come on, Kirstie. Let's talk about this like grown adults. Where are you? Come home and we'll work this out." Avi and Kirstie stared at the phone in shocked silence, neither able to comprehend Eric's blasé attitude towards this whole situation.

Avi recovered first. "She won't be going back to that apartment, you ass wipe. You cheated on her yet you expect her to just come crawling back because you told her to? You don't have any respect for her. You need to get a grip." Avi's voice had lowered into a deep growl by the end of his tirade. Olaf was staring at him with perked ears, seemingly surprised that such a sound could come from a human.

Eric scoffed loudly. "Of fucking course she ran to you. You just can't keep your nose out of other peoples' business, can you? Always sticking it where it has no business being. I guess I'm not surprised she ran to one of you; I always figured she was fucking one of you on the side. No woman hangs out with three guys that often without something happening. The other guy in your posse clearly wasn't interested in any woman."

Her eyes clouded with tears. How dare he? He was the one sleeping around, not her. She was not a whore. Avi seemed angrier than he had been before. "You're fucking paranoid when you have no reason to be. She isn't the one that's been cheating. Don't call her again unless you want me to beat the shit out of you." With that, Avi ended the call and tossed the phone on the coffee table in front of him.

He looked over to Kirstie and realized how much Eric's comment must have gotten to her. She had a steady stream of tears rolling down her face and was ignoring Olaf's nudging and whimpering. Without looking up, she spoke. "Do you think that's what everyone thinks? That I'm sleeping with you guys?"

Avi reached out and pulled her over and held her against his body tightly. The floodgates seemed to burst then; her sobs filled the living room along with Olaf's pitiful whimpering. He smoothed her hair down flat. "Nobody with any sense would think that." Unsure of what else to say, he just kept holding her to his side.

Avi could only kiss the crown of her head and rock her back and forth. He'd never been good at comforting crying people but he'd try his hardest for her.