The end of the beginning

"Hey, Muscle-Man!" Alfred Jones laughed as he sat down at a table for his date with his boyfriend, Ludwig something-or-other. Alfred would really have to get his last name sometime tonight, since Ludwig should be proposing!

"Hello, Alfred. So, um..." Ludwig coughed awkwardly. "There's something I need to tell you."

Alfred's eyes shone. "What, Luddy?! Tell me! Tell me!"

"Uh, guess," Ludwig said, sweat dripping from his perfectly gelled hair.

"You're..." Alfred was going to say it. He didn't want to ruin the moment, though, so he didn't. "I don't know. Tell me."

"I- I'd, well, I'd love to- no, not love, I'd like to, well, um... I'm- I'm breaking up with you." Ludwig stammered, not meeting Alfred's eyes.

"WHAT?!?" Alfred screeched, getting up from the table in shock. "No! You're kidding, right? I- I can't spend a day without seeing you work out... You- you're... y- y..." Alfred felt tears come to his eyes as he stumbled on nearly every word.

"You're not serious enough for me, Alfred. We are barely high school sweethearts, anyway. I need a man who will help me on my journey to Harvard Law School, not hurt me. Sorry, Alfred." Ludwig decided solemnly.

"I'm not serious enough?!" Alfred exclaimed, outraged. "I'm serious! And you can't do this! I love your muscles..."

Ludwig got up and left with a final sorry, and Alfred felt tears stream down his face as he ran out the door of the restaurant.