Chapter 59 : Kasak

【 59.

Fifty-nine

kasak 】

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

[ Kasak • pang ]

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

      SCARLETT SIGHED IN exasperation as she kicked her feet into the grass and tried to take off faster this time around—but to no avail.

Somehow swinging was always better when Zach backed her up, ever so patiently stationed behind her and pushing her with the force that allowed her to soar high as she liked. She couldn’t quite pack the same force into her kicks. Perhaps she’d just become dependent on having someone do it for her.

“What’s with the face, kid?”

Scarlett turned her head to the left, watching Mr Scar stop right beside the swing with his hands in his pockets. He was always in a suit. She’d never seen him in anything else. She was beginning to believe they were made just for him and anyone else who wore it were just being copycats.

“I wish Zach was here,” she sighed, turning her gaze down, obviously upset. “I like it when he pushes me on the swing. I always feel like I’m flying.”

Mr Scar lifted an eyebrow. “That doesn’t sound very safe.”

Scarlett groaned. “Not you too, Mr Scar. Everyone’s telling me not to do this and not to do that.”

He chuckled and shook his head. “You’re the only one who calls me that. I have a name, you know.”

“Yeah,” she sighed again, starting to feel bored now. “But I like calling you Scar instead of Garry.”

He moved behind her, hands gripping the ropes of the swing. “Do you want me to help you for a while?”

Scarlett perked up, her mouth breaking into a wide smile as she tilted her head backwards to see him and nodded eagerly. “Yeah, please. If you can. Don’t you have to work with daddy?”

“No, I was just leaving his office.” He pulled her back, further and further, causing Scarlett to smile when she realised he was going to let her fly high despite his comment about safety earlier.

Mr Scar was one of the cool grown-ups. Definitely.

As soon as he released her and she dived forward with that momentum, her eyes closed on instinct, this was the part she loved most—feeling and not seeing as she soared high into the air. But it was when she began her descent that her heart jolted and her eyes flew open. She never used to panic about landing safely, but she did now.

Because it wasn’t Zach behind her.

Strong, sturdy arms grabbed the rope and the swing came to a wobbly stop, its momentum having been abruptly cut off.

Scarlett turned her face to the back, looking at a frowning Mr Scar over her shoulder.

“Weren’t you enjoying it?” he asked. “You seemed to like it at first.”

Oh, he’d noticed her being scared. That was a little embarrassing. Especially because she always bragged about how Zach let her do whatever she wanted when the adults were worried for no reason.

“I don’t know,” she said with a shrug, her heart still beating like crazy. “It was nice when I was going up, but on the way down I just felt scared.”