Chapter 07 : Aazaar

【 07

【 07.

Seven

Aazaar 】

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

[ Aazaar • torment/suffering ]

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

      THE DAVENPORTS AND Garry Harker stare at Detective Juanita Romero with identical expressions of disbelief and confusion—that it's almost comical. Almost.

“What do you mean Micah’s dead?” Charles Davenport asks, his voice carrying a heavy dose of incredulity as he blinks at the police officer.

“I’m so sorry, sir,” Juanita tells the man, who doesn’t look like he’s anywhere close to accepting the news. “But as I said, his body was found earlier this morning, along with another.”

“Are you sure it’s him?” Isabelle Davenport asks, speaking up for the first time since Juanita arrived at the hospital, where they’re stood outside Rosaline Bonovich’s room. “You’re positive—completely positive, without a doubt—that it’s Micah?”

“Ma’am, he’s an up and coming prosecutor in Chicago,” Juanita tells the woman in a kind tone, “He’s not a stranger to the police force here. But we’d still like for someone with closer ties to him to make the identity confirmation.”

“Rose is going to be devastated,” Charles Davenport whispers to himself, covering his mouth with his hand, his eyes blinking hard at the hospital floor.

“Doctor Harding has already warned us of Rosaline’s current emotional and mental state,” Garry Harker says in a warning tone, his eyes fixed on the father of the woman who has lost both her child and spouse. “She won’t be making any body identification—that’s out of the question. The doctor would chew us out for even considering it. So someone among us will need to go down to the morgue.”

“Of course,” Juanita quickly says, even though Mr Harker wasn’t addressing her. “We didn’t really have Mrs Bonovich in mind for the identification. Even her parents would do.”

“One of her parents will have to stay back,” Garry Harker mutters, running a hand through his hair, suddenly looking exhausted. “She’ll be more comfortable having one of them than me in there with her. She’s gone long enough by herself without a loved one by her side, anyway.”

“Come on,” Charles Davenport says with a sigh, “She’s comfortable enough with you too.”

“It’s not the same, Charles,” Isabelle Davenport mumbles, seating herself down on one of the chairs, and despite putting on a professional front, Juanita cannot help but marvel at the utter and effortless grace in which the woman sits down. Such a mundane, ordinary movement made to look like something of a royal nature. “Rose is completely vulnerable right now, and whatever thin barrier that’s there between her and Garry—which she can look past during the other times—will feel even more obvious to her under these circumstances.”