Chapter 47 The dark alley kiss

Flora

I could see Sean brooding out on the porch. I'd always found it cute when he was set to jealous mode, but sometimes he could really overreact. In his haste to run off and sulk like a toddler, he had forgotten to take his coat.

I bet it was cold out there, but The King was obviously too cool to come back for it. I went out to find him because I simply couldn't let him freeze.

"What's a gorgeous man like you doing out here alone?" I asked, draping the coat over his back.

He turned to me and managed a very reluctant smile. "I'm thinking."

"About what? How to break up with me the day after getting back together?"

I meant to lighten the mood, but as soon as the words were out the thought hit me hard with a pang, kind of like the way it felt when I found the last piece of a perfect dress hanging on the rack, only to see it was size L.

I had never been in an in-love kind of relationship and suddenly it was too precious to handle. Everytime I came across one of our differences I felt like I needed to eradicate it immediately, like it was a zombie and if I didn't blow off its head fast, it would contaminate the rest of the mankind; although there were about eight million of them out there. Our differences, I mean.

He frowned at me. "No, I don't want to break up with you. I'm scared to even think about it."

Good. That was one thing in common. "Sean, that was such a long time ago. It's a misunderstanding. Can't we just forget about it?"

The chilly wind was blowing serenely, ruffling through my hot boyfriend's hair. Some guys are worth fighting for, while some guys are just too cute to fight with. I should heat up the Jacuzzi, I was thinking, when he decided to explore the issue further.

"I know it's a misunderstanding, but I'm thinking that back then, even if you had told me beforehand that you were meeting him, I'd still ask you not to. So I get why you didn't want to tell me."

"Oh good! Then you understand!"

"The thing is, I don't understand why you have this...need to hang out with him."

"Good question." I turned around and leaned against the railing, suddenly glad that he brought this up. I was eager to share my thoughts about it. "Since you asked, I want to tell you that when he came over, it didn't feel wrong. I felt liberated. Like I was able to do something to cheer myself up instead of moping around being mad at you. Why can't I hang out with other people when you're busy?"

"I never said you couldn't hang out with other people. Didn't I ask you to see your friends all the time?"

"Well, Raymond is my friend. A pretty good one, I might add," I declared righteously.

"I'd have no problem if you went out with a group of people."

"But I don't want to hang out with a group all the time," I whined. "You don't get to have a real conversation. It's different with just two people and I like it. Besides, sometimes those meet ups are spontaneous, and it'd be really ridiculous trying to recruit a third person."

He exhaled. "Flora, but drinking with a guy alone in your room is really intimate. Some guys might get the wrong idea."

"Would you feel better if I drink with a group of guys in my room?" I joked, but Sean didn't look amused. He put on his coat, and I could see he was starting to get upset.

"Come on, this is our routine." I clutched his arm. "He always comes over, the same way Sandy does. I think it's unfair that Ray is off limits just because he's a guy, because I honestly don't consider him any more than a friend who I can have a fabulous time with."