5 - One step forward, Two steps back

Namjoon literally just sat down, and now he's being beckoned by this annoyingly attractive guy to eat with him. His stomach growled even more at the thought of food. Namjoon sighed and he shot his head up to look at Taehyung, his eyes glimmering in anticipation.

Oh no, this guy looked just like a samoyed dog. He couldn't say he was immune to that face, no matter how annoying and insistent the other might be on his book. Namjoon's not a robot. It's almost impossible to ignore Taehyung's charm.

Well... he was kinda hungry anyway. Maybe just one breakfast and that's it. He didn't want anything to do with Taehyung anymore after that. Yes, that's it. Just one.

Namjoon's stomach growled again as if it was agreeing with his thoughts.

Taehyung chuckled, and Namjoon's ear immediately reddened. He should just stood up now if he didn't want to embarrass himself even more in front of Taehyung.

"Fine. Your treat," Namjoon grumbled before gathering his things and shoving them inside his bag.

Taehyung's boxy smile grew even wider and he stood closer to Namjoon. "Of course. I wouldn't dream of letting you pay when I invited you myself."

Both the guys started walking together, Namjoon still wary of Taehyung's proximity. He took a mental note to avoid going to the library every single day for this week. He wouldn't want Taehyung to realize where he often spent his time.

Namjoon could see the student cafeteria from afar, his steps felt gradually lighter as he dreamed of a normal breakfast. He was starving.

Taehyung caught a glimpse of Namjoon's face from his peripheral vision. The tall man wasn't exactly good at hiding his emotions. He could see Namjoon walking faster as they approached the cafeteria, and he couldn't stop laughing to himself.

"Oh my god, finally!" Namjoon cried out as soon as he stepped inside the dining hall.

Other students who were dining turned their heads to look for the source of the sound. Having noticed the attention, Namjoon scurried to hide behind Taehyung. He lightly pushed Taehyung's back. "You can go first. I'll follow you," he said shyly.

Taehyung smiled at him and grabbed his arms towards the buffet. "I got you covered so don't hold back."

That was Namjoon's cue to move frantically, his finger pointing at each and every single meal in the menu that there was. Namjoon really wasn't holding back. His tray had already formed a mountain before he looked at Taehyung for approval. Namjoon was gleaming.

Oh now, Taehyung almost regretted what he offered Namjoon, but in the end, it was actually worth it. Taehyung smiled back as he took out his student card and swiped it. Namjoon's smile was enough for him to burn three days' worth of meals on his money.

They both situated themselves on one of the empty tables, sitting across from each other.

"You're only eating that?" Namjoon said before chugging on his banana milk.

Taehyung looked down at his sorry-looking plate of scallion pancakes. Taehyung grinned and dipped the pancake in his pajeon sauce. "Yeah, I uhh I'm really not that hungry. I had coffee. Don't mind me, Namjoon."

Namjoon was wolfing down egg rolls and steamed buns, his cheeks looking swollen from being full, and he suddenly felt bad at Taehyung's words. On the other hand, Taehyung really didn't mind since he wasn't that hungry at all. In fact, he was enjoying the faces Namjoon made with every bite he took. Not to mention the fact that he didn't think that Namjoon realized that he was making a lot of rather...suggestive noises at every bite.

Oh no... Taehyung, don't think of that.

His thoughts were interrupted when he saw one egg roll dropped on his plate. Namjoon was still chewing aggressively when Taehyung looked at the other.

"You looked pitiful. Hey, don't blame me if I took your word seriously. I didn't know the school cafeteria makes good ramen. It's so good. I should let you treat me more often," Namjoon joked.

Taehyung took the egg roll with his chopsticks and ate it with gusto, and he promised that he wasn't unintentionally showing off his tongue to Namjoon.

Fortunately for the brunette, Namjoon saw that. The other seemed to gulp accidentally that he was caught in a coughing fit. Boy, was it loud.

"Here, drink this," Taehyung laughingly gave Namjoon his glass of water. "You really have to eat slower, Namjoon. I wouldn't mind treating you every day, so you don't have to eat like it's your last meal every time," he said as he stared at Namjoon while grinning.

Once Namjoon calmed down, he murmured something under his breath.

"Sorry, what was that?" Taehyung inquired.

"I said, why did you have to eat like that? You eat like you're teasing a freaking egg roll," Namjoon scoffed and continued to eat.

"I was?" Taehyung cackled again, "Why? Were you teased?"

Namjoon blushed profusely as he felt Taehyung's stare. Once again, he was painstakingly reminded of the fact that the other sitting across from him was a very attractive man. This guy's too pretty that it's blinding. Maybe he took the egg roll thing too weirdly.

It's not Taehyung's fault that he was such a natural at 'seducing' people. Maybe he was just reading too much into the situation. Or maybe it's just the pizza talking. Who knows?

"Excuse me?! I was not!" Namjoon grunted and he looked away.

Now he knew why he got a bit carried away earlier. Taehyung bought him food, and he, of course, the broke bitch that he was, almost gave in.

"Sorry, I was kidding. Please don't be mad, Joon," Taehyung said a bit frantically.

Namjoon sighed while chewing (slowly this time), contemplating whether to forgive Taehyung or not.

"Hey, I'm really sorry. Say, if you want, maybe we could get coffee later? After your class of course. My treat again!" Taehyung looked at him with pleading eyes, and Namjoon wasn't sure how he managed to look adorable with his sharp eyes.

No, Namjoon just couldn't agree! If he did, he would feel like he was only using Taehyung for food. He didn't even know why Taehyung was so interested in forming a friendship with him. He wasn't really the nicest person to Taehyung, but why was he still trying to be friends with him?

The mate thing was just a joke, right? Was it part of his weird antics? Or maybe... he didn't have to think of all this. Maybe Taehyung was just being Taehyung, and he wanted to be just friends. He's Hoseok's best friend after all.

Namjoon pouted a little before nodding slowly.

A smile went back to Taehyung's face. The two continued to eat together, and they soon started to talk about each other and Hoseok and their favorite things.

After they finished their breakfast, Namjoon stood up first took his bag, and stretched. "Thanks for the breakfast, Tae."

"You're welcome, Joon," he replied as he stood up as well.

"I guess I'll be going," said Namjoon.

"Okay! See you later!" Taehyung waved his hand.

"See you later, bro!" Namjoon waved back before running off fast.

Taehyung was frozen on his spot, wondering what the hell just happened.

Oh, you've got to be kidding me!

****

I really appreciate the kind comments, and I do read them all. I am thankful for everyone who was still waiting for updates even if I take a year to post singular chapters. I really didn't want to force myself to put out half-assed chapters. Thank you for the support and enjoy reading! ❤️