9 - Date Me

"Date me, Kim Namjoon."

The image of Taehyung's handsome face and deep voice reverberated in Namjoon's mind. His caramel-coated voice paired with piercing fox eyes and fluffy hair that somehow always ending up perfectly placed could not be any more of a perfect vision.

No. No, this wasn't how it's supposed to go. Namjoon's not supposed to agree. He should not have taken Taehyung's words seriously, but it's far too late to back out, now that he has already agreed. 

Namjoon groaned, his face buried on his pillow as his feet kicked and flailed around. It's not supposed to end up like this at all. He was supposed to ask, get his answer, and then not have anything to do with Taehyung ever again at all.

The door in Namjoon's apartment swung open to reveal a brunette holding two paper bags full of takeout. Hoseok grinned with his hearty smile and he went over to the mini-kitchen and set the paper bags down before going to Namjoon's bed. The taller was still lying down on his stomach with his face planted on the pillow. The guy didn't care about his friend's sudden intrusion, more so that he could smell the food that the other brought.

"Hey, I bought Panda Express. You should eat while it's still warm," Hoseok said sweetly.

Namjoon grumbled as a response and he kicked his feet once more in protest. No matter how hungry he was, his current dilemma was too much of a worry for him to just ignore at the moment.

Hoseok sighed and he unapologetically slapped Namjoon's butt. "What happened to you?"

"Ouch!" Namjoon complained and he flipped over then glared at his best friend. "What was that for?!"

Hoseok shrugged and he sat on the bed. "So care to explain why you're acting like this? Did you get in trouble? Do you want me to call your parents?"

"You don't have to go that far! Fine, I'll tell you," he huffed. He took an exhale to muster up courage before telling him.

Hoseok raised his eyebrow, waiting for him to tell his problem.

"So I talked to Tae-"

Namjoon's ringtone went off, interrupting him. Namjoon sighed and he took his phone that was sitting beside his pillow and he visibly froze when he saw the caller ID. He cleared his throat and he adjusted his position so he's comfortable. Hoseok noticed the sudden change of Namjoon's demeanor. Was he acting... feminine?

"H-hello?" Namjoon spoke with a tone slightly higher than normal.

Hoseok could not hide the expression of clear disgust on his face. He was grimacing in front of Namjoon, but Namjoon put his index finger directly on Hoseok's lips to hush him.

"Namjoon-ah~"

Hoseok was stunned. He could recognize that distinct deep voice from anywhere. That couldn't be-

"You're getting too ahead of yourself," Namjoon replied but it wasn't with the usual way he would say it. He sounded like he was... flirting?

"What are you doing?" The caller asked.

"You could've just texted me that."

"But I want to hear your voice," the other guy from the line whined.

"You'll see me tomorrow anyway?"

Hoseok couldn't take it anymore. This is sickening for the following reasons: one, his best friend was flirting with another guy in front of him, second, it's Namjoon we're talking about here, third, he has never seen Namjoon act like this, and lastly, did he mention it's Namjoon?

"What the hell is happening?!" Hoseok cried out loud. He stole Namjoon's phone and he spoke on the phone. "Taehyung? Is this you?"

"Hoseok-hyung? Where's Namjoon?" Taehyung even had the audacity to ask.

Hoseok massaged the bridge of his nose in confusion and irritation.

"Are you flirting with Namjoon?" There's no point in dilly-dallying. He wanted to make sure first and foremost that his suspicions were true.

A deep laughter erupted on the other line. Namjoon was shaking Hoseok's shoulder, telling him to give him his phone back. Namjoon's face was beet red in embarrassment.

"If that's what you call it, then yes hyung. I'm flirting with Namjoon," he said.

Hoseok looked at Namjoon dead in the eyes, "Care to explain what's happening here, Joonie? Are you flirting with Taehyung? You were even trying to sound cute earlier."

Namjoon's face heated up, he started to hit Hoseok's chest lightly before grabbing his phone successfully away from Hoseok's grip. "I wasn't trying to sound cute!" He turned away from Hoseok and he spoke in the phone, "That's enough for tonight, Taehyung. Let's call it a night." He ended the call and he put his phone in silent mode to avoid being interrupted again.

"What's going on between you two?" Hoseok crossed his arms.

"As I was saying, Taehyung and I-"

"So there's a Taehyung and you now? Just how close you guys have become?" Hoseok couldn't help but interrupt, he cannot for the life of him act calm in this situation. No one would.

"It's not like that. Will you just listen to me?" Namjoon rolled his eyes and sighs in exasperation.

"Fine, I'll listen," Hoseok muttered.

"Thank you!" Namjoon said sarcastically. He cleared his throat before speaking, "So umm Taehyung and I decided to date-" Before Hoseok could open his mouth, Namjoon continued speaking, "And it's all solely because he knows something I don't and this is just part of the deal. It's about the mate thing. We'll go on to three dates and after that, he'll tell me what I wanted to know. We're not dating because we like each other or something.

Namjoon stops talking and he glances at Hoseok to look at his reaction. The other didn't have any notable expression on his face, albeit he nodded in comprehension.

"Okay. If it's about knowing yourself then I guess I don't really have a say in it," Hoseok smiled and he put his hand on Namjoon's shoulder.

Namjoon smiled back and he tackles Hoseok into a hug. "You don't have to be so serious."

"I know, it's just that... take care of yourself. I don't know exactly what's going on between you two but be wary around Taehyung, okay?" Hoseok said seriously.

Namjoon puts on a puzzled expression, "Isn't he your friend too? He seems like a good guy even though he's a bit of an oddball."

Hoseok sighed, "I know. It's just that- I don't want him to give you false hopes. Maybe someday, he'll actually meet his real mate and I don't to see you heartbroken."