Ch. 2 | A Dragon in the north

Winterfell

Winterfell

The first thing Aemira noticed about the north was that it was so cold that it didn't feel cold anymore, the frozen temperature in what she had believed to be the end autumn was colder than any winter she'd ever felt before, "Are you alright, my lady?" Her handmaiden, Alayna whispered.

The girl nodded wrapping her arms tighter around her dragon egg, "Are we to arrive soon?" She asked, looking out at the mountains of snow.

"I am unsure my Princess, but we must stop for rest soon, the horses have grown tired" Alayna replied.

Aemira nodded, all she wanted was her big sister, she wanted to lay in her arms and hear the stories of silly birds and bears, she wanted to sing and dance with her brother Aegon not be cast away to the cold and lonely north.

The carriage stopped abruptly, jolting both girls forwards, "Have you ever been to the north before Alayna?" She questioned, the girl smiled, happily "i was born here milady, it is an honor to escort you to my land"

The little girl gave a tiny smile back, that was good, Rhaenyra said to make friends already accustomed to the north to make it easier to live. "I look forwards to seeing your lands, madam"

Alayna blushed, "you need not call me madam My Princess, I am below you"

"I was taught to have manners no matter of who is below or above me, you treat me with respect and you shall receive nothing less" she spoke the words Harwin taught her with a hint of sadness.

She hoped he'd tell her he's proud of her if she ever saw him again.

"My princess we must retire shortly to feed the horses, you may come stretch your legs if you wish" Ser Harrold said knocking on the carriage, he was the only person Aemira knew that her father allowed to escort her.

She nodded, pulling the large fur over her shoulders, the man held her hand as she slowly exited, glancing around at the mountain of snow around them, "will it be long before we arrive? Fáfnir may have grown too cold"

Fáfnir as she had lovingly named her dragon egg had still not cracked nor moved, her father told her briefly that the egg would never hatch but she didn't want to believe him.

Ser harrold smiled at her, "we shall arrive soon, until then I believe you have done well enough to keep him warm"

"What do you wish to do your highness?" Alayna questioned, buttoning up her furs so they didn't fall off, smiling softly at her.

The young woman was quite beautiful to Aemira, She was a short girl and was considered a bit too old to be unwed at the ripe age of 8 and 10 years, her short auburn hair mixed well with her soft pale skin and pretty brown eyes. A true northern beauty.

"You are very pretty Alayna" the girl commented still studying her appearance, the blush on her cheeks did more to highlight her beauty.

Aemira decided that day she liked to look at pretty girls like Alayna.