Ch. 3 | Stained hands

Winterfell

Winterfell

The air around the godswood felt thick, the feeling of grief surrounding the girl as she listened to lady Arra cry once more for a lost child.

"I am sorry, lady Stark" she mumbled, looking down. It wasn't the first time she'd sat with Arra as she mourned her children, holding on to the woman's thin hands tightly to give her a tether from grief.

Arra wiped her tears away, forcing a smile at the girl, "it is what the gods wish to be my dear, I am...too old I presume, there are no apologies for our fate"

"The gods are cruel," Aemira frowned, "you are a kind and good woman and all you ask of them is to be a mother.... you would be an excellent one, yet they still deny you"

Aemira didn't think it was fair, Lady Arra was the closest thing she'd ever had to a mother since hers had passed on, cleaning her wounds when she'd fall, brushing her hair, helping her with anything she could. if anyone deserved a true born child, it was her.

Arra smiled, sadly, "my sweet princess, we do not talk of the gods that way, please do not think of them in that light because of me" she pulled the girl into an embrace.

"The gods may be cruel but they have still given me my time with you, something I believe we both needed dearly" Aemira understood her, she may have disliked the north at first but the crisp cold air had grown on her, taking a family like role in the midst of northern folk.

The north provided unlike those in kingslanding, the civilians of Winterfell went fed and clothed while those in the crownsland went without basic necessities.

It taught Aemira there was more than just sitting on an uncomfortable chair demanding foolish things of people that were starving to death. "You are to leave soon" Lady Arra said quietly, her eyes welling up with tears again.

One more year in the north, then back to the red Keep, back to being ignored by her father, back to Rhaenyra and Alicent's drama.

Aemira doubted anyone missed her, last she'd heard was that the Queen birthed two more children whist she was away and Rhaenyra was in labor with her third. That was almost three moon ago.

"Though I may leave that does not mean this is not my home Lady Arra, you raised me... I shall return" the girl wrapped her arms around her.

"Come, let us pray once more" Arra said brushing the thick white locks of hair from Aemira's eyes, trying to hide the sob in her shaky voice. "then you shall train for the rest of the evening, I believe some time alone will do me good"