TWO

|

|

The King Viserys had requested for her to come to his chambers one fine evening.

Her mother had explained that her grandfather felt particularly ill today. He always delighted in seeing Rhaenyra and above that, her children whom he took great pride in. He liked to tell fond stories of his youth for Jace and Luke about himself and his brother, Daemon. He liked to touch his daughter's pregnant belly, hoping to feel a kick from his future grandsire. And he liked to listen to his granddaughter, Jaehaera, as she sang songs that the Septa would teach her from the days of Old Valyria or Westerosi history.

He often claimed that just a song from Jaehaera would heal his old heart again.

So, she followed the many kingsguard into his chambers, where she would sit by his bedside and sing. Usually, Rhaenyra would be at her side as well, but tonight the babe was making her more weary than normal, and they couldn't deny the King's request.

When Jaehaera arrived alone at the door with the guard announcing her, she immediately grew more small and sheepish when she realized that not only was the Queen Alicent in the room, but as well as Aemond. The two were by the king's greatest creation, the structure of King's Landing created through carved clay and wood, and speaking quietly to one another.

"Ah, sweet girl, you've come to offer your talents to the King," the Queen greeted her.

Jaehaera didn't notice Aemond at first. Her uneasy eyes shifting up at the Queen's strong and demanding presence, before she curtsied as she was taught to do. "Yes, your grace," Her small voice said.

The Queen hummed and waved her forward. "Well, go on, then." Her hot stare almost waiting for the girl to stumble.

Her nervous eyes shifted to Aemond, who looked surprised to see the other. He swallowed thickly, nodding his head to her as she began to walk passed them toward the King's bed. Her head turned, keeping Aemond's eyes because she was too scared to look at the Queen.

"Princess," He greeted her.

Her eyes secretly begged him, it felt like, to somehow save her from this uncomfortable situation.

"Prince Aemond." Her voice was so small, shaking almost.

Aemond watched her even when she broke their gaze. She looked so scared to be here, and he hadn't a clue as to why. He wouldn't hurt her. So, what was she scared of?

King Viserys was sitting up against his headboard. Somehow, he had lost more hair than yesterday, it seemed. The sores on his face were growing, too, and no one could mistake the smell of rancid death beginning to seep from him these days. Still, as pale and sickly as he was, he managed to open his eyes and smile once he spotted Jaehaera going over to his bedside.