FORTYSEVEN

|

|

The night was late, and truthfully, sleep was beginning to work heavy on her lids. She had already been prepared for sleep in her gown, hair brushed, and bathed. Yet, she stayed awake to observe how fascinated Aemond was with Rhaegar.

They were in the King's apartments—and just for tonight, Rhaegar's nursery had been brought in. It was Aemond who had asked her to join him for just one night.

The three had spent most of the entire day together, and to her surprise, it was actually quite pleasant. They had taken their meals togethers, spent some time in the Godswood, and just sat like this in silence.

Aemond and Jaehaera hadn't really said much, as most of the attention had been on Rhaegar, like now.

Aemond stood over the crib to watch Rhaegar sleep. His smile faint, and his hand reached into the crib. He could not fathom the warmth it brought him as Rhaegar clung to one of his fingers tightly while he slept.

"He's perfect, is he not?" He asked in a whisper. He did not want to wake the baby.

She sat in a comfy chair with a gentle smile on her face. She had heard Aemond repeat that phrase numerous times today, and her answer never changed. "More than perfect," She agreed tiredly.

Aemond looked back at her when he heard the sleepiness in her voice. He hadn't realized how late it had been, nor how long he had been admiring his son.

He had almost completely neglected Jaehaera.

"Sleep has found you." Aemond nodded his head toward the large bed behind the curtains, further into the room. "You may sleep in my bed, if you would like."

"Where would you sleep?" She wondered, then.

He gave her a raised brow. "Right beside you."

She blushed, already looking hesitant. She couldn't sleep in another man's bed, Aemond's bed to be more precise.

She was married.

"I don't think—" She gulped.

"I will not touch you, Jaehaera, I wouldn't unless you asked me to," Aemond's eyes grazed down her body for a moment, before he forced himself to turn away. Her body heated as she stared at his back. "Go. I will join you in a minute."

Jaehaera wordlessly stood up from the seat and headed for the bed. She slipped through the curtains that hid the rest of the room, and stared down at the large bed.