Chapter 12

Umbreos dipped down towards the arena at a lazy speed, barely even needing to flap his wings as the large coliseum like structure came into more clarity from above. The last time I had been to this wretched place was when I had been served on a silver platter for the dragons to feast upon. Yet here I am, defying the laws of fate and riding a dragon with a prince at my backside- quite literally. Finally, Umbreos settled down on his landing pad and I felt the warmth of Ashton's chest leave my back bare to the cold. A small shiver rushed down my spine- however it soon ended when I was yanked off the dragon and into the arms of the awaiting prince himself.

A few more moments of awkward silence and holding, then he finally let me go with a disgruntled and contempt glare. He wiped his shirt clean, as if I had been dirty before he turned to go up to the seating box. Honestly, the last thing on my mind was going up there with him. He was nothing but an ass- however I would never say that...considering how I'd like to keep my tongue- better yet, my head. 

It didn't take long before I got the attention of the royal family- their eyes staring down at me for seemingly forever...beckoning me to either join them or jump into the pit. I'm sure Ashton would not mind the latter based on what I know of him already. With a small behind the eye lid- eye roll, I hitch my skirt up and make my way up the stairs into the viewing box. Down below there was a show going on- mainly that of jesters, clowns, and acrobats. During the day, the arena was a place of wonder and joy...it was only at night that the blood of people turns this wonderful canvas into a true nightmare. I noticed that Autumn was not here yet- probably calming down the ladies at the tea party from quite the fright they had surely obtained from Umbreos's sudden arrival. There were only five seats, and one remained empty- but that was because of Autumn's absence. I dare not think about sitting there...even I know that would be a bad idea, no matter how tired I may be.

"Are you just going to stand there, girl? Sit down before you fall out the box." The King spoke quite sternly- casting a glance my way with those frigid eyes.

For a moment I had stared the King in the eyes before quickly looking down and bowing my head- my first though was to head towards Max- since he was seated next to Saul- the more favorable of the children beyond Autumn. She's number one in my eyes. I stood between Max and Saul's chairs- looking between the two of them with a bit of anxiety to my eyes. It was only a quick movement- but I saw Saul smirk and felt his hands grab my waist. I was hoisted up onto his lap- my back pressed against his chest as his head loomed over mine.

 No doubt my face was red from the sheer embarrassment and slight fluster I had obtained...but it wasn't my face that was the only red one here. Max's eyes had narrowed a bit on Saul- a clear death threat laying in them- but not spoken. The entertainment below continued on and no one in the crowd's seemed to have minded what was happening in the royal box. I wouldn't have either had Saul not brushed my hair to the side and brought his lips close to my ear. 

"I hope you are enjoying the show Kaiya- I know I am...~" His voice echoed inside my mind and for a moment I had stopped breathing. I wasn't used to this kind of treatment nor...talk. Not when it came to whispering anyway.

"The show is fine- it's a lot better than the other form of entertainment you all seem to love so much." I snipped a bit- still a bit sour, for lack of a better term, towards the nightly activities.

"Ah yes, after all you had been part of it two nights ago. Well, you don't have to worry your pretty little head off- Those won't be back till the end of the celebration. For now, we get to enjoy what the city brings to us. " Saul spoke with a careless, non-challan tone to his voice. Honestly it bothered me that he couldn't care less for the human lives down below. 

"You look troubled- are you ok?" Max spoke up to the right of me- looking into my eyes with those emeralds of his.

"I am... fine- I guess just being back in this place is a bit unnerving as all. Considering how I was meant to be dragon food." I spoke a half-truth, I wanted to say that killing these people, some of which who did not deserve to die, was wrong. However, I am still in no place to say what is right and wrong with these people. No matter how kind they are to me, I still must know my place if I am to survive within their walls of society.